Friday, August 6, 2010

The e-book Debate

There's more than one blogger in our family now!  Carter has started writing for his company's blog.  I found his post this week especially interesting (read it here).  It's about e-books.  And me (kinda).

Right before I gave birth to Tessa last year, Carter surprised me with one of the most extravagant gifts he's ever bestowed.  An Amazon Kindle.  I was really excited to get my hands on one.  First of all, the idea that so many books could be stored in one spot was exciting to me (all our bookshelves are filled and so I've taken to storing physical books under the bed, which works well until I have to dig around under there to find what I want--I face an unorganized mess and LOTS of dust).  I loved the fact that I could have a new book almost instantaneously and that I could sample the first chapter for free.  I also really appreciated that most books cost under $10--including newly released hard backs!  For the first time ever, I read a Dan Brown before it hit paperback.   The interface was pretty intuitive and the screen easy on the eyes.  I got used to reading with it pretty quickly.

Still, there were things I missed about actual, physical books.  The smell, for one thing (seriously, new book smell can lure me to read just about anything).  Also, I hate the fact that I can't pass a book that I love on to someone else.  And, by the time I received the gift, I had cut new books out of my budget entirely by becoming a library girl.  I still haven't figured out if I can rent books for a lower price (yes, there are lots of free options on the Kindle, but usually not in titles I'm looking to read).  Finally, I've found that electronic versions of books can be missing important things (for example, in the physical book of Annie Proulx's The Shipping News, there are illustrations of knots that are pretty important to the story.  They weren't in my Kindle version, which was rather distressing!)

Overall, I love the Kindle in theory.  But in reality, I haven't read a book on it in over four months (honestly, though, that is mostly because I've developed a dangerous Anthropologie habit that has obliterated my monthly stipend and forced me to return to the library!  I may need an intervention here, guys!).
 
What do you think?  Have you tried a Kindle (or other e-reader)?  How do you feel about them? 

5 comments:

  1. I can't do the whole E book thing! I feel the same way that you do about books. I love the smell. I love holding them in my hands. I love having a whole wall full of books that I've read through the years. They are like old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the power goes out and your charge is gone a book will always be there. Keep the physical books for ones you truly adore and electronically store your quick reads. Don't feel bad about the library. You support the community. Your patronage and use keep it open for all. They not only offer physical books, but they have e-books as well and of course you can keep that Anthropologie habit going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like it is such a good way to STORE books. I've noticed that books get ruined easily, and as they are passed around they are worn down. But I would most likely read an ACTUAL book, the first time- then if I were to read it again I'd read it on the Kindle....if I were so lucky as to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very much against Kindle when it came out. I mean there are so many FREE books in our California local library it seemed silly. But Brett is always reading, and I think if you can afford it and you LOVE to read (which you do) than it's a fun thing to have. It does save space, which is awesome. But I also hate I can't pass books along. But now that our local library is has next to nill selection, this is really nice to have. Even though only one person can use it at a time. (Super annoying). But if you love reading- it's justifiable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a kindle or other e-reader because of the library option - I love being able to read books for free, then take them back so they aren't taking up room on my shelves. I would love it if the libraries could figure out a way to do book loaners on e-books so you're not paying $10/book to read it on there. Maybe someday??

    And nice blog post Carter! I think you brought up some good points.

    ReplyDelete