Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Survived Stevens Johnson Syndrome

So my readers (all three of them) have probably noticed that I have taken a fairly long hiatus from the good ol' blog.  Kell's Belles was completely lame in February.  (It's pretty lame in other months as well, but this last month was particularly bad.)

Honestly, I was hoping to blog some sweet pics that I took of the vacation I took to Arizona to visit my parents (with Chloe) in mid-February. Unfortunately, said vacation turned into a complete nightmare within about 36 hours.  I had to wake my parents up at 3:30 AM to ask for a ride to the ER (which horrified me to no end--your 32-year-old offspring will STILL be waking you up in the middle of the night due to illness? Is there no end to this madness?).  True to form*, I got sick right before my trip and the bronchitis I had been treated for at Urgent Care earlier in the week had morphed into pneumonia.  I was having an allergic reaction to one of the 50,000 drugs I was taking in attempts to control my symptoms and get some sleep.  Seriously, I swallowed a medicine cabinet that night (which makes for a super fun admittance process in the ER.  "You took what?" x50!  I feel they looked down upon just slightly less than the inebriated homeless man barfing and requiring stitches in the next room).  I have been to the ER one other time in my life**, so this was serious business.

My dad was kind enough to give me that ride.  Little did he know that he would be sitting by my bedside at the hospital for the next three days.  The upside of three days in the hospital?  Morphine and Ativan.  The downside?  Everything else.  This was not a great hospital.  The nurses ignored most of my complaints.  They brought people in to practice doing IVs on me.  They never delivered the flowers my mother-in-law sent.  Oh, yeah, and they failed to properly diagnose and deal with the potentially deadly syndrome I developed on Day 2 of the stay.  True, one of the doctors said he thought I might have Stevens Johnson Syndrome (WARNING! This link is totally gross, so only click it if you're really curious and there are no kids in the room), a delightfully bizarre reaction to something (a virus? drugs? They don't know!) that attacks mucous membranes and causes a crazy bad rash.  He did get me in a private room just in case I had it.  That was good.  My roommate was not exactly delightful company.  Unfortunately, the doctor that saw me on the next shift dismissed the other doctor's idea and I never got treated for SJS.  I kept getting sicker and sicker (thrush, UTI, eye infections), but thanks to a few breathing treatments (plus IV steroids and antibiotics) the pneumonia went away.  So that was good.  On the the third day I begged my dad to get me out of that awful place.  He managed to spring me with a lot of sweet talk to the doctor on duty (the man is a brilliant salesman.  Seriously, if you have to be in the hospital, you want my dad for an advocate!).  Of course, we had to basically buy out Walgreens  and get 20 prescriptions.  But still, I got to go "home." My discharge papers said I had a sore throat***.  Uh, what?  Just another example of the thoughtful care I received****.


The tamest of the self portraits I took of myself in the hospital.  Email me if you'd like gorier ones. As the series progresses, my mouth swells up to 12 times its regular size and that lovely rash just gets worse!  Yes, I totally played with my iPhone the entire time I was in the hospital.  And if I texted you during my stay, chances are I have no memory of what I said.  Or even of doing it.  Sorry!  It was the drugs!

I was in such bad shape that I had to wait a few days before I could travel back to my actual home.  Carter was able to get the extra days off work and handle things at home, which included Sadie getting a double ear infection.  Nice! (His fabulous company even sent get well flowers to my house, so I actually got them. So kind!)  I recuperated as best I could.  I couldn't eat because my mouth was filled with fungus and painful sores from SJS.  I lost 12 pounds.  (Sidenote: I'm good at finding the silver linings.  I'm still trying to look at this whole ordeal as a weight loss opportunity.  SJS = highly effective way of getting rid of those stubborn holiday pounds!)  I couldn't sleep because my horrible eye infections and painful sores kept me awake--the one thing the doctor who discharged me from the hospital DID NOT prescribe was pain medication.  I was in abject misery.  My parents took good care of me and Chloe.  After three days, I was able to fly home (Michael Jackson style):

 Me, sitting in the Phoenix airport.  Like how I tried to use pearls to cover up my rash in public?  How's that for styling?

People treated me like a leper in the airport.  I've never gotten through security so fast!  Chloe even walked a few paces behind me.  I don't blame them at all.  I was in bad shape.  The flight was quick and painless.  (Although one annoying flight attendant asked if I was sick.  Uh, ya think?)  Carter picked us up with Piper, Sadie, and Tessa in tow.  I had missed them all so much so I was really glad to see them.  Tessa took one look at me and said, "Mommy needs a Band-aid!"  We started driving home.  After about six miles of listening to Tessa cough, I realized just how sick she had gotten while I was away.  I knew, deep down, she had ear infections.  I immediately phoned the pediatrician (who is on speed dial) with my trusty iPhone and finagled an appointment (of course it was Saturday and of course they were closing in a half hour).  We drove straight from the airport to the doctor.  Carter ran her in while the rest of us waited in the van and, sure enough,  she had two infected little ears.  (Yes, we're due to get our tubes replaced.)  I couldn't believe our luck.

We survived that miserable weekend.  Carter took Monday off so that I could FINALLY see someone about the raging eye infections the hospital completely ignored the entire time I was there. Seriously, I couldn't even see anymore!  The opthamologist I saw seemed pretty alarmed (mainly by my appearance, but I'd like to think the lack of care I got in the hospital for my poor little eyes factored in as well to that look of horror as well).  He was certain I did have Stevens Johnson (the mucous membranes in my eyelids were the root of my problem and looked just as you would expect someone with SJS to look).  He commented on how lucky I was that I had such a mild case and emphasized just how ill I really was.  And that I should never, ever, under ANY circumstances, go to a hospital if I ever had an eye problem.  He said they are notoriously dangerous place for your eyes as they tend to get ignored.  Live and learn.  Unfortunately, my eyes were in really bad shape.  It's possible permanent damage was done and that I'll never be able to wear contact lenses again.  (I can't even deal with that thought!  I HATE wearing glasses!)  He prescribed treatments and more follow up appointments.

It's now been three and a half weeks since my "vacation."  I'm still struggling with my eyes (seriously, you should see me typing with my face right next to the screen!), but I'm still seeing the opthamologist regularly and hoping we'll get it all sorted out soon.  I feel pretty lucky now that I've done more research on SJS that I'm not having too many lasting effects (this list of side effects is so terrifying it's almost funny!).  I also feel blessed to have had so much help from our family (which to me includes blood relations, dear friends, and church members).  I can't believe how many calls, cards, meals, messages, and help our family has received.  I'm busy healing and trying to get our lives back in order.  I'm amazed at how fast my poor body has put itself back together after such a difficult illness. 

So, that's why I haven't been blogging.  And after this gross post, you're probably sad I'm back!


----------------------

*I ALWAYS get sick before trips.  See here and here for evidence.

**The first/last time I was in the ER was 2006.  In Kauai, naturally, on a family vacation.  I had a fever of 105 from mastitis.  My dad had to take me back then as well.  I really owe that man.  They were able to treat me and release me immediately.  So this was my first non-baby related hospital visit EVER.  And the first time I stayed for more than two days.

***I am in our ward's primary presidency.  The wonderful gals I serve with brought me dinner on that first miserable weekend home.  One of them is a nurse.  She took one look at me and asked if I had Stevens Johnson Syndrome.  See, it's not THAT hard to diagnose!

****Do yourself a favor and don't get sick in Phoenix, AZ.

14 comments:

  1. UPDATE: Sadie just threw up! It's 10:30pm. She and Chloe are coughing their brains out. Life hates us. To be continued. Ad infinitum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soooo sorry. (Great read Kelly! Writing with a sense of humor means you must feel better on some level.)

    I've been down for the last few days with cold, cough etc. but I'll be in touch tomorrow to see how Sadie is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I had no idea it was (is) that bad! My mom told me you were in the hospital but I really didn't know you were that sick. Oh I am so sorry. I hate winter and all the sickness that goes with it. Chris was in London this January and I was at home with four stomach flu boys, so I can relate to Carter's side.

    As a side note, I do like the pearls though that you wore for the plane ride! I'm glad you are blogging again, I thought for a minute you were going to be done like some of the rest of us.

    Let's hope spring comes soon and thus ends all this madness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uggggggghhhh! Let's all boycott 2012. Seriously, how can we reject this year?? Right now we're debating if Anderson has pink eye...

    Of course you look stylish while super sick in an airport. Pearls and a cute put together layered top? I would have so been rocking pajamas. I'm terribly impressed!

    I'm SO sorry all this happened to you. Serious... nightmare! I'm so glad you're okay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! It has been literal HELL at your house and sounds as if it hasn't ended! Kelly, I have been hoping you would blog soon so I could get the full story of your medical trama and trama it was! I can't imagine there being a "bad" hospital, but you described one perfectly. I'm soo sorry! That is the last thing you needed. I'm glad to hear that your family has been well cared for and that Carter's work was understanding enough to let him step in when he was needed. I think you're house needs a big dose of sunshine to get rid of these colds and ear infections. I'll keep my fingers crossed. After your family gets thru this you should be excused from illnesses for 9+ months. Take care!!! And don't hesitate to call, for real :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness me. Let's all be grateful your sickness streak skipped over Italy. If you're going to get sick somewhere, AZ would be a good sacrifice.

    Those pearls were a nice touch though. I'll be praying for you and your eyes. And your tastebuds. And now Sadie, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. FINALLY! I got a comment to post on your blog. Chrome hates me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Elizabeth said I knew that you had hit the hospital in AZ but was not aware of the extent of your distress (a mild word for horror!). I asked Becky if I could do something for your family but she said that Carter was handling things very well. You are certainly fortunate there.

    I do have some hope for the constant ear infections. I will bring by some samples from my company that have proven to help with middle ear infections.

    You are brave and a great writer. Fantastic combination with a lot of potential :)

    All my best wishes for a healthy spring and summer at the Durhams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kelly! I am so glad you're doing better. But sorry that the girls are sick again! I told Carter we'd love to come over Sunday and bring dinner. What sounds good? What will the girls eat?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura, it did NOT skip over Italy. She just didn't mention it. She got sick right before we left and soldiered through the trip. Obviously the incomparable splendor, significance, and culinary delights were able to overpower her sickness and she had a good time. But probably could have had a better time had she been 100%...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you are doing better Kelly, and am so sorry this happened. You've been in my prayers cutie! And I LOVE the pearls used to cover up the rash - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my GOSH KELLY. I remember seeing your post on FB but it was a little vague and I wondered when there would be a blog update with real details :) This sounds horrifying and I am so sorry that you went through that. I really hope your eyes improve so you can wear contacts again bc I agree glasses are a pain.

    I have a great habit of getting sinus infections when we fly somewhere, which is always pleasant with the cabin pressure. But this takes the cake. You really did look like MJ with the mask at the airport :) You should keep the mask and use it on future trips so you sail through security again! (just kidding - I think I'm a little punchy late at night, so I hope this doesn't totally sound obnoxious)

    Hang in there. I hope everyone in your house is healthy SOON! You deserve it. Sending you a gigantic hug.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Obviously a little late to the party, but my mind is so blown. Kelly, you have the worst luck, and the most dramatic stories to prove it! Sending lots of love and healing, healthy vibes to the whole little clan!

    ReplyDelete