Before I had children and I thought about motherhood, I was determined NOT to be a nervous mother. I didn't want to inflict my own worries and fears on my children. I wanted them to live their lives to the fullest and not feel like I was hovering over them, second guessing everything about their lives and making them feel insecure. For me, that meant letting the baby take a few falls when learning to walk and not freaking out about it. That meant letting my kids deal with the natural conflicts that arise in grade-school friendships without my interference. And that certainly meant going off to activities without loads of anxiety on my part. Now I'm not so sure I was right about all of that.I guess it's because I've been the classic nervous mother all morning and I'm feeling pretty unapologetic about it. When I was faced with FIVE weeks of Chloe being off track last month, I was worried about how I would fill her time. Without organized activity, she can be quite the handful (and that's putting it nicely). In my current state, I was worried I wouldn't be able to engage her properly. So when the local rec center sent a flier out about Super Sport Activity Camp, I felt like I had a perfect solution. Four hours a day of different sports for an extremely reasonable price can't be beat, right? I signed her up for the kindergarten group immediately and felt like a problem-solving genius.
Well, Monday was the first day. The second we drove up, I started to have second thoughts. First of all, I had to unload all three girls and drag them across a parking lot of pure ice. Chloe was afraid to be left alone there. And when she finally gave me the go ahead to leave her, Piper fell on the floor crying that she wanted to stay (and Sadie couldn't stop babbling about "going swimmings!" after spotting the pool.). All of these things were to be expected, of course, and couldn't be counted as deal breakers. But the fact that there were only four teenagers in charge of about 50 kids gave me pause. I shook off my unease and dragged the little girls away for the allotted four hours. When I came back, I was horrified to find sixth graders chucking balls at my defenseless not-even-six-year-old's head. Granted, the game that day WAS dodge ball. But all the kids altogether, kindergarten through sixth? That wasn't what I signed up for. I saw a girl not much bigger than Chloe slip out of the gym and watched her wander away without any one of the teenagers noticing (I watched her and she made it back okay, but still! The thought of Chloe wandering the center unsupervised sent a chill down my spine). Then, at the end of camp, they lined the kids up, walked them to the front door, and then released them into the parking lot (in their defense, they did say not to leave unless they saw their parents. But it was a blizzard and I highly doubt 45 of the 50 kids actually SAW their parents as they bolted through the doors). What would happen to Chloe if I were a few minutes late (which, considering the snowy roads and all the car seats I have to deal with, is entirely possible)? Suddenly the genius solution seemed like a dangerous disaster-waiting-to-happen. For the rest of Monday and all of Tuesday, I tried to shake off my worries. Chloe did have fun (despite reporting a minor head injury) and that was the point. I was just being that nervous mother I had decided years ago that I wasn't going to be!
But this morning, I woke up with a terrible feeling. I knew that I was dreading taking Chloe back to sports camp, where I had signed away all the club's liability and was potentially putting her at risk. I couldn't make myself feel better. Visions of drownings (today was swimming day), opportunistic pedophiles, and mean sixth graders saying horrible things to my baby danced through my head. After fighting these feelings for an hour, I gave in and embraced my inner nervous mother. I called the center to tell them I wanted to withdraw my daughter and get a refund. They're getting back to me, and while I'll probably have to fight pretty hard to get even a partial refund, I feel MUCH better. I was worried about breaking the news to news to Chloe, but she actually took it really well (especially when I immediately pulled out some poster board and markers for an art activity). I think I'm better off taking her to the aquarium, BounceU, the library, and the dollar movies than a sports camp where the potential hazards just wouldn't balance with the benefits in my head. If anything happened to Chloe, I just wouldn't be able to forgive myself.
So, I fulfilled my own definition of what a nervous mother is today. I'm totally being that overprotective mother hen I was determined not to be. But I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. Sure, Chloe probably would have been fine at the camp and probably nothing bad would have happened as a result of hanging out with sixth graders all day. But probably just isn't good enough for me. I didn't understand how it feels to be a mom when I made up my mind all those years ago. Since it's me against the world when it comes to my daughters' well-being, I have to go with my gut. Even if it means being a nervous mother.
I totally support that decision. I don't think I'd leave my kid there either! How can there be no adults overseeing that many kids?! No thank you. Good choice.
ReplyDeleteI understand your position completely! Sixth graders are in a whole different social league and that reason alone is justified in pulling her out! I wouldn't say you were being an OVER protective mother but rather a protective mother. Way to go with your gut! That's all it should come down to anyway!
ReplyDeleteGood decision. I approve.
ReplyDeleteWho plays dodge ball these days? Everybody knows it was a sport created by the devil. Fight for that refund. You made the right call.
ReplyDeleteNot nervous- responsible. Not everything out there is good for our kids... in fact a large percentage of "out there" isn't. But there is so much in the world, that what's left is plenty! I think it's vital to acknowledge that both exist, and that we parents are the only ones responsible for what we knowingly expose our kids to- good or bad.
ReplyDeleteNice instincts- I sure hope I've got some of those... ;D
They just let them run free and said "Find your parents?" Yikes.
ReplyDeleteThere's nothing more satisfying than that "much better" feeling you have after getting yourself out of a potentially dangerous scenario. Good for you.
If Chloe ever wants to come up to the Childrens Museum downtown, let me know.
That would have completely freaked me out too!! I'm glad you were cautious and that you followed your gut. I'm all for being a careful mother.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree - fight for that refund. They should reconsider how they run their camps too - I bet you can make a big difference in how things go in the future there.
I think I witnessed that kind of program at Dimple Dell. I'd watch the kids while doing laps around the gym and it made for good entertainment. Chaotic, funny, and semi-violent.
ReplyDeleteYour a good mom.
I'm all for having an open mind about things, but after all, we don't want to have such an open mind that our brains fall out. You had more than one cue here that something wasn't as it should be. That's not nervousness, that's common sense.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I've found that persisting feelings of dread, concern or worry over a course of action are actually promptings from a higher power... and/or a keen mother's instinct! Don't beat yourself up, you haven't deprived Chloe of anything in this case, except more minor head injuries... And you came up with quality alternatives for her, so you aced your job as mom on every point.
Way to go for following your gut.
ReplyDeleteThere is something powerful about mother's intuition combined with the spirit.
You may never know what could have happened, but the relief you feel makes it all worth it!
What's Bounce U?
I think my kids might like it.
Let me know if you decide to go!
P.S.
ReplyDeleteBy the by, if you give me the address of that day camp, I can enroll and chuck a few basketballs at those sixth graders' heads and see how THEY like it... ;-D
I think you made a good call Kelly!
ReplyDeleteAnd get your full refund, that many kids with only a few supervisors is crazy!