The first thing:
I'm always amazed by how much crud ends up in the pile after I sweep the kitchen floor. You may be thinking, wow, she must not have swept the floor in a week to get it that size. Wrong. This is after about 36 hours. Small countries could live off what gets spilled on our floor. Carter has recently started a "Lean Over Your Plate When You Eat" campaign, but I haven't seen much of an improvement. I hate the kitchen floor so much. It doesn't matter how often I mop or sweep it, it's always a sticky mess. Seriously, it feels like wasted effort to work on it. Somebody always spills apple juice 30 seconds after I finish mopping the floor. Still, like Sisyphus, I must keep at it no matter how futile it seems. Otherwise Sadie might get lost in all the Cheerios.
The second item:
Do you see that eensy, teensy bottle there? Those are eye drops prescribed recently for an eye infection Sadie had. Do you know much we had to pay for that little bottle? $60!!!!! And that was the insurance co-pay. I have no idea what that little sucker actually cost. I checked the ingredients carefully and neither diamonds nor gold bullion were listed as the main ingredient, as I initially expected when I heard the price. Oh, well. They worked and I still have half the bottle left in case anybody else's eye gets infected (at this price, I'll be squirting this in people's eyes for the next 15 years no matter what the expiration date says). It makes my heart hurt to think of the cute shirts I could have gotten with that money (I always think of money in terms of cute shirts).
The (literally) grand finale:
Yup, this is me at almost 24 weeks. I know, I know. Not small. But, keep in mind, this is my fourth baby! My pregnancy is obvious to the world now. I know this, too. Mainly because 4 or 5 people have actually come up to me this week to exclaim, "Wow, you're getting so big!!!" I was worried they were talking about my hips, thighs, and face, since those are the most obvious sites of expansion to me. I was way too paranoid to clarify what those size-observant folks meant, so I just smiled and nodded. I ended up talking to Carter about it. He assures me that's just a way for people to comment on the progression of the pregnancy. Still, I don't see how I'm supposed to walk away from an exchange that starts like that feeling good about myself. Oh, well. I'm a lot bigger than a quarter, huh? And please, if you see a pregnant woman, just tell her how utterly fabulous she is. Leave adjectives about size out of it.
I totally hear you about the kitchen floor...neverending cycle. And, I think you are a dang cute pregnant lady!! I would much rather look obviously pregnant then have people thinking I've just gotten a little chubby, right?
ReplyDeleteYou are fabulous Kelly.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in college, Ilene and I always measured things in price of shirts too!
LOVED Stardust by the way.
What a clever, yet truly profound post. This spoke to me. I love to read your posts because of the wit and humor. I always get a laugh or smile, but today I got a message that I needed to hear. Thanks for the insight. BTY I agree with Laura Lee -- You are fabulous and I too LOVED Stardust.
ReplyDeleteHATED, hated, HATED Stardust. Vacuous, self-indulgent mishmash of a garbled fairytale - and let's face it, De Niro stunk in it. No, Kelly, you don't look fabulous. BUT, in the immortal words of Billy Crystal as Fernando Lamas on SNL in the 80s which you may be too young to recall since you weren't allowed to stay up that late back then OR watch SNL, "You look mahvelous! It's not a question of whether you feel good; it's whether you look good. And you, YOU, look mahvelous!" AND you are tiny and svelte in all other areas except your tummy bump - which had better be bumpy, or something's amiss... Right?
ReplyDeleteCarter, keep up that "eat over your plate" thing! People are starving in China.
That is a CUTE side picture of you! It really shows that you are all tummy, that's all.
ReplyDeleteAh, the after-mealtime-floor-cleaning. It gives new meaning to the phrase, "don't shovel until it has stopped snowing." Well, at this rate, I'm not shoveling until 2020, at least.
Hey Kelly! A woman after my own heart...I hate the kitchen floor too! I can not go barefoot on the floor due to the itsy bitsy crumbs that I am constantly stepping on! Also, congratulations on your fourth pregnancy! I am way out of the loop, because I did not know about this! I'm glad you are feeling well, and no, you do not look big!
ReplyDeleteOkay- I know I'm supposed to be saying something about how cute your belly is and what a great maternity dress that is, but I am just thinking how weird it is that last night Zach and I finished watching Stardust for the second time ever, and it was just because he happened to be burning a copy he got from his parents, and I happened to want to see it again, and I've been thinking of it ever since, and how I wish we glowed when we were happy, so we could all know exactly how to treat each other. It wouldn't help with run-on sentences over the internet, but it would definitely stop the size remarks in their tracks. ;D
ReplyDeleteI'm all for people NOT commenting on the size of a pregnant women. No matter what part of the body their comment is directed, it never feels good to be told you are getting "big". It's not fun to sweep any floor when you have a ball as a stomach! I'm sorry to see how mandatory it is! Keep up the good work Mom!
ReplyDeleteUh, can I just say my "Lean Over Your Plate When You Eat" campaign was NOT "recently" started. That's pretty much been the rule forever. Maybe I just have to remind them more recently since we have more kids eating (and not leaning) these days.
ReplyDeleteI think your prego belly is SO cute!! And I love Carter's campaign. I think Eli will be in a booster seat with a tray for much longer than he should because I know he won't lean over his plate...
ReplyDeleteAnd I can't believe the cost of those eye drops!! It's shocking how much you can spend on health-related things?? I spent $60 in copays alone from doctor's visits... not to mention the prescriptions. Ugh!