Tuesday, July 10, 2012

You know you married the right guy when . . .

. . . he throws out the most amazing Fyodor Dostoevsky quote in the middle of his sacrament talk (yep, after only a week in the ward we got a speaking assignment!).  These words have been with me since I heard the love of my life read them on Sunday:

“You must know that there is nothing higher and stronger and more wholesome and good for life in the future than some good memory, especially a memory of childhood, of home. People talk to you a great deal about your education, but some good, sacred memory, preserved from childhood, is perhaps the best education. If a man carries many such memories with him into life, he is safe to the end of his days, and if one has only one good memory left in one's heart, even that may sometime be the means of saving us.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

As a mother, this is my goal for my children.  And I'm thankful Carter said it was his goal as a father.  I hope our girls will have lots of memories from their childhood that will save them in the future.



These last few days have been incredibly difficult.  We lost a dear, dear friend of the family in a very tragic and sudden way.  Only the week before she had been sitting in my new house, having a heart to heart with me.  We were sharing our triumphs and heartaches, laughing and fighting back tears at different intervals.  It was glorious.   I'm so grateful I had one last time to hug her and tell her how much I loved her and how much she meant to me.  I still can't believe she is gone and I'll miss her for the rest of my days.

At the funeral yesterday, her family said they discovered she had listened to this song over 200 times on her iTunes (Funny, I still think of her only listening to the New Kids on the Block).  Even after she was gone, she's left me something to treasure because I love this.  (I think I'll probably catch up to her 200 listens!)

The Call by Regina Spektor  (Yep, I'm linking it again because you need to go listen to this.  I wish I could embed it!)


No need to say goodbye, dear Lynne.  You'll come back when it's over.

7 comments:

  1. That is a great quote, and not something you think about all the time. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, but how wonderful that you got to spend some meaningful one on one time with her just a week ago. I'm sure that meant a lot to her too. I think it's those kind of friends that save us in the end as well because of the memories we share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this - it is beautiful and makes me want to work harder to make those memories for my family. thank you kelly and carter!

    i'm so sorry about your friend. i was just talking with lisa tonight about how grateful i am for the time i've had - the gift of specific people in my life - people who have changed me for always. and we talked about how hard it is when the time comes to end of living near each other or seeing each other regularly. but there's comfort in knowing that what we cherish most about each other will be ours for always too. no matter where our souls live.

    i hope i get to see you this week. you can expect a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with that song. It's perfect for this. So sorry, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kelly. I'm so sorry for your loss and am glad you have such a wonderful song that will make you think of her. Thanks for linking to it.

    I'm really glad you married the right guy :) That quote was fantastic.

    Hang in there, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normally I can't wait for Kelly to do a new blog post, but with the title of this current one residing at the top of the page...I don't mind if she takes her time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quote and beautiful song. So sorry for your loss Kelly. So sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete