Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Musings

*As I looked down the pew, I could observe the results of my running out of steam getting everyone ready earlier.  One girl had her freshly washed hair in an elaborate braid that wrapped around her head, complete with a bow (Piper).  One girl had her hair slicked back into a regular braid, but there was a ribbon cut from a pack of washcloths I bought tied in it (Tessa).  Reduce, reuse, recycle!  One girl had wet hair with a headband, but product has been applied to encourage curls (Sadie).  And finally, the last girl had wet hair with a bobby pin holding her bangs back (Chloe).  The bobby pin was golden, but still.  I fear this trend of gradually declining hairstyle quality won't change any time soon.  But I do vow to make sure I rotate the girl who gets "the works" each Sunday.

*Piper got a new primary teacher.  And he's her cousin!  We identified a distant progenitor on Carter's father's side of the family in common with this kind man a few weeks back.  He shared a pioneer story in a talk and Carter recognized the name.  They bonded.  The man brought over written family histories to share.  I imagine that distant pioneer woman smiling down as one of her progeny teaches the other in the valley she sacrificed so much to reach.  How much do I love that my kids have legit pioneer ancestry?  So much!  I also love that the world is so small in these parts.  But sometimes I hate it.  Today I love it, though.

*Sunday naps are pretty much the best thing ever.

*The General Relief Society broadcast last night was really, really good.   It was completely focused on Jesus Christ and his atonement.  I don't think we can hear enough about Jesus Christ and the power his atonement can have in our lives.  I was uplifted and encouraged.  You can watch or listen to the message here.  It's worth it, believe me! I am so impressed with the new RS presidency.

*My poor visiting teacher gave birth eight weeks ago.  She just went back to work as a nurse and pulled three shifts this weekend.  Her companion had surgery three weeks ago.  She brought me amazing homemade cookies (white chocolate chip with toffee bits!) and apologized like mad for not visiting me before.  It made me feel so bad that she felt so guilty.  I think women who give birth should get at least six months off from visiting teaching guilt.  Same with surgical patients.  I told her so.  And then I ate five of her cookies.

*I cannot believe September is over.

What were you thinking about on this lovely Sunday?




5 comments:

  1. I agree with the Visiting Teaching idea, and think that pregnant women should also be exempt. It was all I could do to go to work and get home when I was pregnant, and I got tired of the guilt ridden phone calls from my VTing supervisor. But now that I have a 3 month old baby it is kind of nice to have an excuse to get out of the house and do my VTing since the sisters I visit also have small kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she can visit teach all she wants. She just gets a break from the GUILT if she can't quite swing it all ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this. I totally agree about the RS broadcast -- it was lovely. Also, Hettie only gets her hair done about every third Sunday. And she's my only daughter with hair. So I think you should get a break from guilt, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I do the same thing with hair! And I always feel bad, because two of them not only look the same, but are together the entire time, so it's really obvious who got more time spent on them. :b Some weeks they all just get clippies so I don't have to deal with the guilt.
    What a sweet VT- I wish that didn't always involve so much guilt, too!

    ReplyDelete