For the uninitiated, Education Week at BYU is an adult continuing education program. They have literally 1000 different classes on various topics that you can take for one week in August. I had been feeling rather, uh, intellectually uninspired. So I decided to go ahead and volunteer to be a hostess for the program (they rely on hundreds of volunteers to help with the huge influx of visitors to the university) when I heard about it at church. By doing so, I got a free pass to all the classes. I wasn't sure how it would go. But it ended up being a life-changing experience for me.
Initially, I thought I'd just serve my evening volunteer shifts (after Carter got home from work) and maybe try to catch a class or two when I could. I even considered hiring a sitter for a day. When Carter saw my enthusiasm about this possibility (and considered the difficult summer I'd had), he decided to take the entire week off work. This meant I got to fully immerse myself in the experience. I spent 14+ hours a day on campus for five days, attending class every period possible (I think I missed a total of two sessions the whole week). I darted around, trying to get myself good seats. I ate my lunches in the Marriott Center (the only classes you could eat in) so I could listen to instructors even during meals. (I skipped dinners altogether!) I drank it all in and made the most of it. I took classes on topics ranging from parenting to the Apocrypha to women in the scriptures. After a full day of classes, I would show up for my volunteering shift. I was in charge of 3280 WSC. I had to make sure the speakers had all they needed (water, class schedule, etc). I had to introduce the speaker and arrange prayers. I helped people find seats. I took complaints. I smiled and acted friendly. And then I sat back and listened to the classes during that three hour block. Such a deal!
During the week, I was on my own. I was in charge of my own schedule and my needs were the only ones I was in charge of (well, maybe not during my shifts, but at least I was dealing with mostly reasonable adults!). It was kind of an ideal vacation for me in that I didn't have to travel and could sleep in my own bed at night. I was inspired and challenged. I took over 70 pages of notes! I made some new friends (one older gentleman that served with me in 3280 would greet me with, "And how is The Feminist this evening?" to tease me after I told him my favorite class was Women in the Scriptures and then would regale me with tales about William McClellin from his Joseph Smith Papers class). I loved every second of the experience (even the long lines at the ladies' room). I loved the teachers. I loved the students. I loved being back on campus. I cannot wait to go back next year.
Right after I finished my incredible week of going back to school, it was time to gear up for the girls starting their new school. Chloe decided with Carter during the week that she needed to throw an End of Summer party for her new friends, complete with water balloons and pizza. She made invitations and delivered them. So it was up to us to throw it together that Saturday morning. I was worn out, but happy to oblige. We released the butterflies we had been raising, put on relay races (of both the dress-up and Fill-Er-Up variety), played a highly competitive round of musical chairs, and ate dozens of popsicles.
The gang's all here!
A very nice way to bid farewell to summer.
And then it was time! Monday was a back to school night affair where we could go to find the classrooms and meet the girls' teachers. My jaw dropped when we walked into Chloe's classroom. I felt the urge to laugh and cry at the same time--it was THAT beautiful and impressive. Her tireless teacher had hand-drawn owls onto balloons that were floating over the desks to deliver a friendly welcome message a la Harry Potter's Hogwarts message. A paper Hogwarts had been erected around the reading corner, and pictures of Narnia and other fictional locales decorated the walls. It was SO inspiring. I felt like re-enrolling in the 4th grade.
The next morning was the big day. Our amazing neighbor threw a wonderful Back to School Breakfast on her front lawn for the whole neighborhood. For the first time, I got to experience the excitement and jitters of moms and students on the first day of school with a community. It made all the difference. I still can't get over the amazing neighborhood we landed in!
We've been re-adjusting to life back in school ever since. There have been plenty of tears, but also plenty of excitement. The girls seem to be settling into their new routine/new life. Whew. Tessa misses her sisters. A lot. But the reunions are so sweet!
On her own with mama!
School girls!
So, that's how Kell's Belles did Back to School this year. How was your re-entry into academic life?
How great to have a whole week to yourself! Like being back in college again. Glad you enjoyed it. But look how cute all those school girls are!
ReplyDeleteAwwwww! Little heart-melters!
ReplyDeleteWow- education week sounds like the most fun ever. I loved your goal posters- I guess the class you were referring to was one of these? Anyway, it was inspiring. Our FHE theme was goals and I used your topics as a guideline. It was very thought-provoking, and interesting to hear my girls' ideas. :)
And what a great idea to have a back-to-school breakfast!! I'll have to remember that for next year- so fun.
Yes, Summer, that's where it was! I did two sessions with they Eyres (yes, THOSE Eyres. Bestsellers, Joy School, etc). The one on parenting young children was all about that school goal setting process. And the Repentance Bench, which has worked wonders at our house (LONG explanation, let me know if you're interested and I'll fill you in). The classes mostly focused on giving your kids ownership in their lives. Very good stuff!
DeleteWhen you're not nursing a baby, you're welcome to come stay with me during Education Week and we can go together :)
Did I not comment on this way back when when I read it? Darn iPhone! Anyway, so jealous of your personal back to school experience at the Y. Totally want to do Education Week w/ you some year!
ReplyDeleteCan I join the Education Week party? I've always wanted to go, and doing it together sounds dreamy :-) xo
ReplyDeleteIt would be WONDERFUL to go with you. I have a spare room calling your name for next August :)
Delete