Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Drama, Drama, Drama

The past couple of weeks have been pretty eventful in our little corner of the world.  The challenges of settling the girls into a new school/life combined with the challenges of closing up the unfinished business of the old life (read: FINALLY closing on our house) has made for some serious drama.  And this happened:

 Sadie in recovery after a Dacryocystorhinostomy on August 21st.  Fun stuff.

Poor Sadie.  She had to have a second surgery to reroute the drainage of her right eye since she is lacking a tear duct. It was miserable and sad for me, so I can only imagine what it was like for her.  This was the longest, hardest surgery we've been through.  I wish I could erase the screaming and crying in the recovery room from my memory.  But we survived.

 This is just before they wheeled her away.  I appreciated the bear and blankie they gave her.  And the fact they marked which eye they needed to work on VERY PROMINENTLY!

 It's so awful to see your baby in pain.  Breaks my heart!

She felt lots better after one day!  And her eye already seems much better.  She'll have the stent in her eye for six months and then undergo another small procedure to remove it. And then, fingers crossed, she'll be fixed!  Hooray!

 Grandma brought her a new fishy friend to help her feel better.  Meet Rainbow!

We're a few weeks out now and she's doing much better.  Her eye appears to be pretty much fixed (less watery, no infection, no horrible discharge) now and she's back in school. 

I was so busy helping Sadie recover that I let another daughter's problems get out of hand.  Multiple emails and a visit with the administration at school has helped us start to solve the issue.  There are no easy solutions, but I have been comforted by the willingness of the school to help us help our daughters.  That allows me to say with confidence everything is going to be okay.

But wow, parenting is hard.

The end (hopefully to all the drama, definitely to this post).

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great at this hard job! Wow- she looks so happy for the day after surgery!! I can't imagine having to watch my kid even be put under anesthesia... I have a lot of respect for the strength you've had to muster over the years, knowing you've been through so many kiddie surgeries. Here's to another LONG drama-free era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly!! More surgery! That sounds extremely emotionally taxing and so hard for poor Sadie. Here's hoping you are close to being done with surgery for a long while!

    ReplyDelete