#5 The Hunger Games Triology by Suzanne Collins
Yes, I could have picked just one (and if I did, it would have to be the first one). But I think they go best together. I'm glad that I finally got around to reading this fantastic Young Adult series. I loved the concept. I loved Katniss and how courageous, competent, and selfless she was (I feel like she's the perfect antidote to silly old Bella Swan!). And yes, I loved how important fashion was to the story. These were fast and fun reads. And it helps that I read one of them on my trip to Italy ;)
#4 The Help by Kathryn Stockett
This book appealed to my inner Southern Belle. (What, you don't have an inner Southern Belle?). The characters are beautifully drawn--so much so that they felt like dear friends by the end of the novel. And while the circumstances for African-American maids in Mississippi during the Civil Rights Movement were at times difficult to read, I inhaled this book in one weekend. Seriously, I could not put it down. I totally get why this is a best seller! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they translate this excellent story into film in 2011. (The casting so far looks spot on!)
#3 Little Bee by Chris Cleve
This book broke my heart and was very hard for me to read. These may not sound like a good things, but it speaks to how beautifully it is written. It made me think about all the many blessings I've been afforded. I would recommend it to anyone feeling blue about their lot in life. Or who might (foolishly) be considering a vacation to Nigeria. The Washington Post said in its review of this book that "it will blow you away." This book made good on that promise.
#2 The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall
This is the second novel by Mr. Udall, who happens to have graduated from the same institution that I did. Again, the characters are what I love most about this book. I feel comfortable declaring Rusty, an 11-year-old son of the titular polygamist, the best written child I've ever come across in literature. I've always been fascinated by polygamy and this book is just that--fascinating! I was so enchanted that I can't wait to go back and read the first Brady Udall novel. And I'm eagerly anticipating his next work!
#1 The All of It by Jeannette Haien
This book, given to me by my mother-in-law, is an absolute gem. When I got to the last page, I flipped back and started it all over again because I didn't want to let it go. I've never, ever done that before. It's beautiful and spare and it changed me forever. I hope the lesson that we as human beings cannot possibly judge another human being stays with me. This will be one that I return to again and again (in case it doesn't!).
Honorable Mentions: The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Burbery, The Rick Steves Guide to Italy by Rick Steves (obviously), Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishigura, One Day by David Nicholls, and Columbine by Dave Cullen
Worst book I read this year: No contest. The Traveler's Gift by Andy Anderson. Yikes. This books is sooooo bad. I couldn't even go to the book club meeting where it was discussed for fear of saying offensive things to anyone that claimed to have enjoyed it.
Any recommendations for me to try in 2011?





I am loving your list! I am always looking for a good read! I read The Help, All The Hunger Games, The Elegance of the Hedgehog, and Never Let Me Go. I really want to read Little Bee! Right now, I am reading "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. It's really interesting. Next in line is "Room" by Emma Donoghue. It also looks fascinating. Thanks for your great reviews! I know I can count on you for good reads!
ReplyDeleteI'm so grateful to read about your top picks! I'm reading The Help now (let's see the movie together! I will likely be in Utah 2x next summer!) and really enjoying it. Hunger Games has been sitting on my shelf for way too long... it's next. #2 sounds so interesting and you've sold me on #1. I'd better get reading!
ReplyDeleteI loved a few on your top 5 list too! Hunger Games were great, LOVED The Help - you should listen to it on audiobook - it is phenomenal with the southern accents... oh I was so sad when it was over. I read Little Bee in Mexico next to the pool, which was kind of a strange place to read such a story. But I was captivated. I should forward our book club's reading list for the year - you have prob. read some of the books on the list, but you might find some new ones that catch your eye. Now I want to read your #1 and #2 books!
ReplyDeleteI read the All of It based on your GoodReads review (I think?) and loved it! Such a great story.
ReplyDeleteLove your list. I haven't read Little Bee or The Lonely Polygamist. I'll have to give them a go. The Help was an interesting read especially because my dad was raised in Tupelo, Mississippi during the sixties and he, like most white families, had a black maid. I just finished Unbroken -- amazing history of an Olympic runner and POW. It was captivating. Next on my list is Learning Environments that support Mathematical Understanding but I don't think you'd be interested in that -- I'm just trying to force myself to interested.
ReplyDeletethis is a great list - now i need to get to the library and start reading.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will do this every year. I also think, (when and if you have time), you ought to start your own blog devoted entirely to books, literature, authors, all things literary- from quirky anecdotes, author bios, to full-fledged reviews. You and Carter should get started on a name for the blog pronto! You could get a national if not international following, etc. Seriously!!!!
ReplyDeleteIf I were to name THIS particular blog post, it would've been, "2010 in the books." I wasn't consulted, however.
ReplyDelete(I added a comment several days ago, but it didn't stick) Nice blog. COLUMBINE is one of the scariest books I've ever read; so...now that I can't sleep at night...THANKS A LOT CARTER & KELLY! The last book I read that was this troubling was THE HOT ZONE (Since you asked for 2011 recommendations). The movie with Dustin Hoffman and Rene Russo is no where near as scary.
ReplyDeleteI love reading about what you are reading! I feel so proud of myself when I have read some of the books you mention. I have read The Help (loved it!) and the Hunger Games series (which I enjoyed until Mockingjay). I just finished Unbroken which was an incredible read. And I'm forcing myself to read A Tale of Two Cities right now because I've never read it, and I'm seeing the play next month so I like to know what I'm getting into before I go. I'll have to remember The All of It. My mom recommended that one to me too. Thanks for the ideas!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great post, I'm sad I was too lazy (or underwhelmed by my 2010 reading?) to do one of my own this year. I've got requests in at the library for the ones above I haven't read and am very very excited for The All of It (your MIL always finds great ones!). I've got a few literary fiction recommendations:
ReplyDelete-The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender
-The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass
-Tinkers by Paul Harding
All really good, though you'll have to ignore the occasional adultery!