Not that "we" had a choice. I'm learning that six-year-olds think birthdays are pretty special and the requests for cupcakes can start before 8 AM. The girl is ready to party! It's impossible to look into those excited green eyes or witness that little happy dance without feeling festive. We have a lot to celebrate, after all. Chloe has gone from this:
To this:
Chloe on Saturday, blowing out the candles at her birthday party, which took place at her personal Shangri-La, Chuck E. Cheese's. Funny how one person's Shangri-La can be another person's third circle of hell.
In just six short years, no less! I can't believe that little baby in the picture is now the little girl that regularly turns out crayoned masterpieces and sits in the corner by the heater trying to count to 1,000. (She made it to 334 yesterday. I don't think I have the patience to count that high!) She never ceases to amaze me and I can't imagine life without her. Bring on those cupcakes!
Because she is my first baby, January 13th can't pass without me celebrating a transformation that Chloe's birth ushered in. Six years ago I woke up in the morning as a woman in labor and went to sleep that night as a mom. A mom. Six years ago, I started to discover new things. For the first time, I found out what love at first sight feels like (before that evening, I would have claimed to have experienced a dozen times, with everyone from Leonardo DiCaprio to that super cute guy on the JV soccer team. But, nope. The real first time was when the doctor placed that gooey little creature on my chest). I also found out just how delicious a hospital brownie can taste after 16 hours of labor. Over the years, I've discovered even more. Like my ability to care, desperately in fact, if somebody eats their vegetables or wears their coat out in the cold. Or that a kindergartener can try the rhetorical abilities of a college grad (I think I could definitely make any debate team in the world after living with Chloe for six years). And how it sometimes takes herculean strength to wave goodbye to a little head peeking out the school bus window (yeah, I've probably listened to ABBA's "Slipping Through My Fingers" one too many times this week). I can't believe how much my life has changed in just six years.
But this year, out of all the other years, has me celebrating another remarkable event that happened a little before Chloe's birth. Carter and I managed to select and happily agree on a name before I was even pregnant. It didn't seem like it at the time, but it was a miracle! Oh, how times have changed . . .
Happy Birthday, Chloe!
Third circle of hell- ha!! That one is going to catch on. ;D
ReplyDeleteSIX!! 16!!! 334?!!! Wow. Wow. ;)
oh you got me all teary-eyed!
ReplyDeleteI remember the first time I met Chloe, at LJ's reception in Colorado. We all thought she looked just like her Aunt Katie! What a beautiful little girl she is!
ReplyDeleteI forgot that Chloe and Parker had the same birthday! I hope it was a wonderful day for you all! Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Chloe!! Kelly, I can't believe she is six years old.
ReplyDeleteI think Chloe makes some of the best crayon masterpieces I have seen from someone her age!
I would just like to make sure the record properly reflects that Rachel was teary eyed. Not Brett.
ReplyDeleteThank you please
Happy Chloe Day
P.S. I hope Ghost Town is good, I've been wanting to watch it since I worship Ricky Gervais.
I love this entry. It's so true that the day your first child is born your life is turned upside down! Chloe was worth it! Happy Birthday Chloe!
ReplyDeleteOops, I'm in auntie jail, I missed the day!! Although I remember it well, chatting with Kelly (just a baby herself in my mind's eye) on the phone not longer after the blessed event.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday (Belated) Chloe, AND Happy Motherhood Anniversary and Happy Fatherhood Anniversary to Kelly and Carter. And Happy Great-Aunthood to my old self.
As for the new chick's name, I'd love to know the three big sisters' suggestions... And I hope you all put up a poll if there is more than one choice! We wanna say in this matter.
(I really liked GHOSTOWN, overall - Rickey Gervase's gag reflex is worth the price of the rental alone...)