Our cute 14-year-old neighbor dropped off a HUGE bag of Barbies (along with loads of accessories) at our house two weeks ago. Her mom told me she was inspired by Toy Story 3 (Spoiler Alert!: Andy, who is headed off to college, gives away his toys to a little girl he knows will play with them). Anyway, she picked the right house because it's pretty much been non-stop Barbies around here ever since.
As you can imagine, our mini fashionista is the most impressed by them. She can spend hours changing their clothes and doing their hair.
But everyone has gotten in on the act, even Tessa.
Believe it or not, these are the first Barbies my girls have ever owned. I loved Barbies as a little girl. They were my favorite toys (edging out the Cabbage Patch Kids and Rose Petal Dolls). I, like Piper, spent hours dressing them and doing their hair, which was actually time well spent when you look at what I've done with my life (let's just say I'm still spending lots of time dressing people and doing their hair--my current group just wiggles a lot more!). Still, I hadn't purchased any for my own kids. I guess I was trying to be more feminist. Or maybe I was just too sick of picking up toys to add anything else to our collection. But it does seem a bit tragic that my girls had never known the thrill of selecting a Barbie from the toy aisle and enjoying all their accessories (for those precious ten minutes before you lose the first shoe). Their grandmother saw how hard this Barbie craze hit at our house and remedied the situation. Becky got each girl their own brand new doll. Did you know it takes two adults 25 minutes to get three Barbies out of their boxes? All the twisty ties and strings and plastic SEWN into the hair are insane. It wasn't like that back in my day! But the girls love them so much.
So, if you're in the mood to play Barbies, you now know where to come!
P.S. Apologies if Aqua's "Barbie Girl" is now running through your head. I know I'm going to be singing that one all day.
OK, "Barbie Girl" was NOT going through my head until you wrote your PS! ACK! Make it stop! Make it stop!
ReplyDeleteOh thanks for bringing that song up- dangit.
ReplyDeleteMy girls still have two Barbies to share between them! One from each of Mia's last birthdays. I'm glad I'm not the only mom who has neglected the Barbie facet of their daughter's lives... I loved them growing up too, but just can't bring myself to spend actual money on them.
Those girls look like they're in seventh heaven- ha!
I appreciate how Barbie has lost a little in the bust and gained a slightly thicker waist since we were girls. I also LOVE the Barbie movies -- I didn't think I would, but they are the strong, smart, creative, kind heroes, while the guys kinds of just stand around looking nice.
ReplyDeleteToday's game is Barbie Wedding. It has been going on for longer than an actual wedding reception. First the Barbies kept getting awakened by phone calls and then panicking about making it to the wedding on time (this went on for about an hour and half). Now they are all dressed and lined up watching Ken and Barbie get married over and over again (in a terribly secular ceremony, I might add) and then dancing to a hummed version of the wedding march. I'm not sure who's more entertained--me or the girls (although if they realize I'm watching, it really puts a damper on the Barbies' festivities).
ReplyDeleteGuess what happened to MY Rose Petal..... Apparently, I didn't clean my room or something ridiculous, and she was taken from me. Completely confiscated.
ReplyDeleteIt was horrible.
I never saw her again.
I LOVED Rose Petal! I think I had one, but wished I had more. And I was an only child for so long, you would think I own a whole slew of them! I had a lot of Barbies, but somehow I don't have any of them now. Hmmmmmmmm, mom? and where is my Barbie house? and my Care Bears, and Strawberry Shortcakes?
ReplyDelete