Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Proof We Took The Kids

I have to admit, my favorite activities in Cedar City are the ones that are grown-ups only (the plays, the lectures, the fun restaurants--yes, you can take kids to restaurants, but they would be far more fun if you didn't have to deal with four kids while enjoying them!).  This proved to be especially true this year.  I adored the plays, but the rest of the time I felt pretty stressed.  I think this had to do with the fact that

a) I got really, really sick a few days before we left.  This not only made the prep work incredibly difficult (think packing suitcases, preparing snacks and food for the trip, packing half the house in the car, etc), but made me feel lousy for the entire trip (I STILL don't feel 100% yet).

b) We've added an extra kid since the last time we went, which kind of threw me.  Also, we went with all of Carter's family (something we've never done before).  Tessa's still pretty much a baby and needs to stick to her naptime/mealtime routine to be happy.  Since that's pretty much impossible on a trip with so many people, I was dealing with an extremely tired and grumpy child 80% of the time.

c) I didn't sleep very well, and that's never a good thing.  We had six people in one motel room and now I know that that situation doesn't work.  Kids were waking up all night long (one time a girl fell out of bed and landed right on her sister, who was on the floor right below her in a sleeping bag--that was quite the ruckus, believe me.  I'm surprised the entire El Rey Inn wasn't awakened during that incident involving high pitched shrieks and tears at 3 AM) and it was hard to get the baby to sleep in that set-up.  Additionally, I had to work CONSTANTLY to pick up the place so we could actually walk through it without tripping.   Live and learn (and spring for the extra room)!

It's almost a week later and I'm still pretty worn out from all the activities.  I know that time will improve my memories from this trip (already I feel a sense of nostalgia just looking at the pictures).  We got to do a lot of fun things and the kids had a great time.  So, all in all, it was definitely worth it.  It's just going to be a LOOOOOONG time before we attempt something like it again!

The Activities:

Driving.  Lots and lots of driving.


Trips to campus


Carter having a conversation with Shakespeare


There are so many gorgeous, Shakespeare-themed benches all around  I liked this one, featuring Benedick and Beatrice.


It only took us five minutes to walk to campus, so it was a great way to get extra energy out of wiggly little girls!

Swimming


The girls swam every single day.  I have to say, this was my LEAST favorite activity.  I had to get them in their suits, slather them with sunscreen, get their floaties on, put in their ear plugs (because they all have tubes and therefore, holes that lead straight to their inner ear.  Any water in there can lead to infection FAST), watch over them (Tessa very nearly drown once), get them out of their suits (and hang those puppies up to dry), rinse them off in the bath, get them dressed again, and finally, fix their hair. Others helped along the way (thanks for saving Tessa's life, Lisa!), but seeing the whole process through start to finish was up to me. 
Ugh.

Trip to Cedar Breaks


Did you know Tessa HATES to wear shoes?  It's true.  I forced her to wear them at Cedar Breaks.  At first she laughed (pictured).  Then she cried (not pictured). 

Picnic at Navajo Lake


Becky bought all the grandkids little birds at Cedar Breaks.  As soon as we got to Navajo lake, they set up a picnic for them.  It was so cute!

What's a trip to a lake without tossing rocks into it?  I love this shot of Sadie (that Becky took) hauling a rock to the shore!

The Green Show


The Weird Sisters enjoying their lollies


Piper and cousin Jack got to dance with one of the performers.  Piper was in awe!


She loved The Green Show!


Everybody rocking out after the show

Not pictured:  a picnic in the most amazing park I've ever seen, breakfast every morning in the motel dining room, several meals in restaurants, a hunt for a very important piece of technology (that I swore I wouldn't blog about), the time Sadie sliced her finger open on the pool gate, and, of course, that one time when a girl fell out of bed on her sister.

Yes, it was a good trip!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun, sounds like, um, not as much fun...
    But I'm sure your kids will only remember the great parts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you are amazing!! Trips with kids are SO exhausting and hard. But you're awesome for braving it and having fun too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.... I had fun, and I'm glad you were there. I hope it was more fun than it was agony..

    Most likely it will get easier as the kids get older. And probably more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I'm relieved to hear we didn't spoil the trip for anyone else (I guess you were lucky enough to be in the other dining room at the Mexican restaurant when Tessa pooed right at the table and I had to run Piper to the bathroom because she started screaming she was going to throw up--I'm wondering if Laura would say the same thing . . .)!

    I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune in about five years, but the magical # of young kids to fun ratio is a little off for our family right now ;)

    ReplyDelete