Exhibit A.
I refer to this as the Sugar Incident. I was nursing Tessa in the other room when this occurred. For the record, these kids had been served breakfast. But I guess they needed a little post-breakfast nosh. They took it upon themselves to prepare it. The results? A sugar snowstorm in my living room. It was EVERYWHERE.
Mmm, the breakfast of champions. A half cup of sugar with a few Cheerios sprinkled on the top. I never knew how hard sugar was to clean up before this day.
Exhibit B.
Another super fun/gritty material I had to clean up this weekend was sand. We have a little sandbox in the backyard. A lady in our ward gave us her old water table recently. I thought we had created the perfect little haven in the backyard for the girls to enjoy while I take care of things inside (read: feed the baby--she's terribly hungry all the time--and do laundry). They did enjoy it. They developed a fun little game where you dump water on your sister's head followed by a bucket of sand.
This particular "game" required a 45 minute shower/bath combo for the two younger big girls with me desperately trying to wash all the sand out of their hair. (Funny how Chloe didn't have a bit in HER hair--I wonder who invented the game?) Even still, they had a beach's worth of sand still caught between strands. Does anyone have a good tip on sand removal from hair? The bathroom was a wreck and took ages to clean. It will take me most of today to vacuum up what was deposited in the house. Carter has officially banned sand from within 50 yards of our house (I hope our neighbors will comply!). And all this happened just as our dinner guests arrived. Lovely.
* * * * *
I may be terrible at preventing these incidents, but I'm glad I always have the presence of mind to take pictures. You know, for insurance purposes. I can also see how they might be kind of amusing (although I imagine it will be a couple of years before the comic effect works on me). Also, I want to have them in case I ever wax too nostalgic once my girls are grown and spilling sugar all over their own homes.
So, for those of you contemplating a fourth child, you have officially been warned that it IS a big deal. And I officially need a weekend from my weekend.
Maybe you could fill the sandbox with sugar and then when they play their game the bath water will turn into a sweet concoction of laughter and joy that you can nurse the baby on as you sing Love at Home. Good luck with the next 18 years. Loved the Post.
ReplyDeleteLet's not forget those were HONEY NUT cheerios. Not sweet enough for them?!
ReplyDeleteYeah. The messes. I think that's what comes. Solution for sand in hair, etc, is hosing the kids down in the backyard. Not only does it help the sand problem but hopefully psycologically scars them from ever doing it again.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you and I should go up to the cabin.
AHHHHH! I can't stand it! I thought girls were sweet and just had tea parties. Not like crazy boys that scream and hit and kick each other just because they are bored! Crap, maybe we won't have another one. I'm up for the cabin too, but Lisa didn't say who was going to watch all these kids while the mothers are away. HHHMMMMM....
ReplyDeleteHa -- this entire post had me cracking up. Sand and sugar. You never appreciate how TINY each grain is until something like this.
ReplyDeleteThat picture of Piper is classic.
Sadie is getting blonde?!
Why are YOU hosting OTHERS for dinner??
oh, we are supposed to have someone WATCH the kids???
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh I so needed to read this.
ReplyDeleteAbout the sand- I'm still finding little grains two weeks later, and that's just from an outing to the beach where I didn't even see any sand on their heads. I have NO idea how to get it all off at once.
And all I am thinking about lately is how it's next July or a year later than that for adding our fourth. We don't have that much time to decide. It is keeping me up nights.