Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's Time for Boggle, Baby!

When we achieve this:


then we play this:



Before three weeks ago, I'd never played Boggle (believe it or not). In fact, I've had negative associations with it since it factored into an ugly break-up my sister went through in 2005 (LOOONG story). Anyway, we got the game for Christmas a couple of years ago and it's been in the closet gathering dust ever since. Then one night when we got all the kids to bed, Carter challenged me to a game. I was TERRIBLE. I think I got two words. I was totally embarrassed. But in a very un-Kelly move (those who know me know I tend to only play games that I'm good at and have a shot of winning--it's the Rose competitiveness in me), I stuck with it. I even found a game I could play online to increase my skill level at WordTwist.org (Thank you, Melissa!). I still stink and can't even come close to Carter's level, but I have developed a real love hunting down words and working the board. It's good exercise for my sleep deprived, neglected brain. So now when we get the kids down at a reasonable hour, we play a few rounds. It's great for us because we play in 90 second intervals (there's no huge time committment that some other games, cough, Pillage and Plunder, cough, require). It may seem kinda nerdy, but we love it!

Chloe has seen us play a few times (yup, we made my brother join in for a few rounds after Family Dinner on Sunday). She even tries to play now:


Anyway, if you ever feel like playing Boggle, give me a call. I love it and you're sure to beat me.

5 comments:

  1. Here's a weird fact: If I listen to Smooth Criminal (RIP, Michael) while I play, I can increase my WordTwist score by almost 30 points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I think the weird fact is my favorite part of the post...

    Now I want to play Boggle, and I only have a sleep deprived med student to play with! I'll have to check out your link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I had some technical difficulties there for a minute (I couldn't get the link to work!). But now it's good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend accused me of being Big Bubba in the high scorers list on Word Twist. If only? Boggle away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we've played ours yet ... we'll have to do it together. Carter is always good at those games. I think someone once tried to get us to play "pillage and plunder" and by the time they set the whole thing up, I was asleep.

    ReplyDelete