Monday, July 6, 2009

Conversation with Chloe

Chloe has been really into WordGirl lately. It all started when she got a Wendy's kid's meal featuring this PBS kids superstar. She's usually disappointed when she gets CDs as a prize, but she listened to this one with great relish. Then she started watching the show and is now a huge fan. I always thought she had a pretty good vocabulary, but now she's dropping words like "henchmen" into casual conversation. Tonight I learned that vocab isn't the only thing she's picking up from the show. She's liking the idea of being a superhero. Here's a transcript of a talk we had while taking an evening stroll:

Chloe: Mommy, I'd like to be a superhero. If you'll let me . . .
Me: Sure, that's fine with me.
Chloe: Okay, good. Because I'm really smart. And very fast. [And obviously exceedingly humble.] But I can't fly.
Me: No?
Chloe: No, see watch. [She jumps two inches off the ground.] I can't escape gravity. But I'd still like to fight bad guys.
Me: That's good.
Chloe: I'm going to need to think of a costume because superheroes have costumes.
Me: Okay.
Chloe: I'm thinking some shorts or something.
Me: Um, that sounds good.
Chloe: I sure like walking. I think I could walk for a month. [This was hilarious to me because before we started she cried real tears about having to walk.]
Me: That's good. I told you it would be fun.
Chloe: Yeah. You were right. I could maybe even walk for a year.

So yeah, the bad guys better watch out for a new girl superhero. Wearing shorts.

8 comments:

  1. My friend will sometimes wear her swimsuit under her clothes and she says it makes her feel like a superhero. Just an idea for Chloe. Oh, and wristbands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she still wants to fight bad guys even though she can't fly. Too bad you have to love your enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious. I love it, and I want to be a superhero too. Wouldn't it make life easier?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sleep better knowing Chloe is protecting us from evil henchmen and such. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever Chloe! I love having conversations with her!! She is smart! Glad she is coming to play today...I'll bet they'll wanna play super heros. James will be all over that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who's her arch nemesis? I often feel that I'm filling that role...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cart, I thought I was her arch nemesis! I know her kryptonite is fruits and vegetables. And gummy items.

    ReplyDelete