Friday, July 10, 2009

Flashback to the 4th

I meant to get these up earlier. I swear I did. And then after a couple of days passed, I told myself that I could just skip the 4th on this blog altogether. But if there were no pictures of my kids dressed up in red, white, and blue, I would definitely be in the negligent Mommy Blogger category. And then how could I live with myself? So here are pictures from the picnic we had on Independence Day:


Yes, I chopped off her hand in this picture. But she totally moved before the flash went off.


I'm not sure why everybody looks so sad/tired in this one. This was BEFORE the picnic even started!




We were all really excited that Jack, the girls' cousin, could come to the picnic. He has had three surgeries since April (two of them HEART surgeries). He was in the hospital on the 4th, but his doctors let him out for a few hours (but the poor guy had to negotiate the slide on oxygen--you can see the tank in the background). All of us were happy he could come. But he wasn't feeling the pictures (and I don't blame him one bit!).


This picture cracks me up!

Because fireworks start a good hour and half past bedtime (and we did have 8:30AM church to get to the next morning), we skipped the massive firework display this year. Nobody really knew the difference. We did do a few sparklers in the driveway (Thanks, Becky!). And can I just say that now that I'm a mom, the 4th is NOT my favorite holiday (that's putting it nicely). Here's a mathematical equation to explain it:

Fire + Children + People lighting off loud bangs at all hours to wake those children already in the equation = my personal nightmare

I used to like it when I was a kid. But no more. I swear, Chloe almost lit Piper's hair on fire with a sparkler. And because I live in Utah, I get to relive this whole scenario in just a couple weeks. Lucky me.

5 comments:

  1. You don't like the fourth anymore? Maybe you'll like it better when you don't have an infant that wants to nurse every two hours!! If you loved it growing up....your kids probably feel the same way. Give Tessa and Sadie a couple years to realize how cool it is. Fireworks and BBQ's = FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Em. I'm sure as the kids get older the panic I feel seeing them hold sparklers will get better :)

    Oh, and speaking of things getting better, Tessa is FINALLY on the sleeping end of the growth spurt. She slept 5 1/2 hours on Wednesday night. "Relieved" doesn't even begin to cover the way I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- yay- I'm glad to hear you're getting a few more winks! You might begin to feel human again in just a few weeks, huh? ;D

    I agree- there's nothing worse then noise when you have an infant- especially noise you can't control!! Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's false. Fireworks always stressed you out when you were younger too. You always hated the idea of Barrett and I playing with fireworks. Even harmless sparklers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. Steve was the pyromaniac in our family and now that he isn't around, our 4th consists of watching tennis on TV and steaks on the grill. I leave the fireworks to my neighbors!

    ReplyDelete