Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Trauma Rama

(Deep Inhale. Exhale.) Okay, I think enough time has passed. I am ready to talk about January 28, 2008. The day of the hair disaster. Brace yourselves for this emotional journey.


This is a picture of my darling Chloe around the time of this disaster. Note the lovely hairstyle. And this is what happened on January 28th:



Ack! She cut her own hair!!!! Despite what had to be 5 million warnings from me to NEVER cut her own hair (or that of her sisters), she took it upon herself to whack off the locks that escaped her headband that day.


Where was I at the time? Nursing Sadie, of course. That's what I'm ALWAYS doing when the trouble starts. Piper was down for her nap and I thought Chloe was in the bedroom resting, too. Alas, all too late did I realize she was actually in the bathroom making "improvements" on her hair.


When she walked into the room that I was in, I saw hair all over her shirt. I ripped off the headband and the above picture is what I discovered. I screamed. I cried and laughed all at the same time. It was a horrifying, emotional moment.


I called my mom and then I sent around the pictures to trusted family members to see if they had any ideas on how to fix the disaster. My loving grandfather heard how upset I was and sent me a gift certificate to the swankiest salon in Salt Lake. Melanie the Miracle Worker salvaged what she could into what she called "a European bob." We've spent the last few months "making it work." Friends, family members, neighbors and church members consoled me with stories of their own (or their kids') self haircuts. Still, the hair trauma plagued me. But time heals all wounds (and bad haircuts).


This is how she looks today. I feel much better about it all now. I also feel better getting all this off my chest. And remember the next time you see a kid on the street or in the grocery store with an odd haircut, her mother probably had no other choice.

5 comments:

  1. Chloe is adorable! I love her faces in those pictures. I'm so happy you have a blog now. I know I will enjoy reading it - I love the way you tell your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Chloe. I appreciate your point about other kids and bad haircuts. Sometimes I look at little girls and say (to myself) "what is their mother thinking?" That was probably one of your biggest fears. One of those judgments you think twice about now, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, a delivery on the teaser! I'm happy to hear the entire story. Poor Chloe. Is that a tear streaming down her cheek? Of course you were nursing! I love this story. Your girls would be beautiful bald!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, yes, those are her tear stains. I'm sure her face in the pictures are an exact mirror of mine at that moment :)

    Laura, EXACTLY. I thought that about a little girl at church and then this happened. Her mom was one of the first to console me after January 28th. I was definitely humbled. I'm glad to say I'm less of a Judgey McJudgerson now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her haircut now! It's super cute. Everyone has to have that one experience of cutting their own hair.

    ReplyDelete