Lest we all become quickly bored with tales of my sub-par parenting (see: all the posts below), we're going to mix it up today and talk about the song that I have had on repeat for the last 24 hours straight.Yes, as you can tell from the picture, it's Coldplay's "Viva La Vida." How did this fan go from casual (yes, I loved Chris Martin's appearance on Extras---the line "Plus Gwyneth's making drumsticks!" still makes me smile. And I did listen to A Rush of Blood to the Head repeatedly, but their last album barely made a blip on my radar) to RABID overnight? The fabulous Coldplay iTunes commercial that must have played 600 times during the American Idol finale, of course. Even though we have a DVR and I usually FF through all the commercials, I would stop each time I saw this puppy flash and turn to Carter to exclaim, "I LOVE this song!!!" Indeed, I got so addicted to the goosebumps popping up on my arms that I even went to iTunes to check it out. After "Michael Scott-ing" it (definition in this household: repeatedly listening to the 30 second free sample) for a while, I went ahead and dropped 99 cents for these four minutes and four seconds of musical delight.
And then I noticed that a TON of my recent downloads were originally from commercials I saw. In fact, the CD I made to make the endless runs to and from preschool more entertaining is almost entirely comprised of songs gleaned from late-night TV. Chloe really digs the moody Bitter:sweet number, "The Mating Game", that I saw on the Korbel commercial while Piper prefers the Yael Naim ditty that featured in those ubiquitous MacBook Air commercials (you should hear her sing those lalas. It is darling!). I myself really like Ben's Brother's "Stuttering" off the Dentyne Ice commercial and Jem's "They" (which technically wasn't on a commercial but did play while I was shopping for jeans at Nordstrom).
Carter always did say I was susceptible to advertising. My iTunes play list only proves his point. What are your best commercial song discoveries?
And for those readers whom I alienated with this post, don't worry. I'm sure I'll do something really dumb ( for which the kiddos will surely suffer) later on today that will most certainly appear on tomorrow's post.
UPDATE!!! According to my iTunes log, today (6/3) I officially passed the 100 play mark for Viva la Vida (I won't say how far over 100 I am for fear of inspiring eye rolls from family members and former roommates who know how I like to kill songs by playing them over and over . . . Circles, anyone?). Also, I heard it TWICE on the radio this weekend. And finally, I made plans to go see Coldplay when they come in November with the BIGGEST Coldplay fan ever. I cannot wait to hear THE SONG live!
UPDATE!!!! (7/4) I have my ticket for November 22. Now I am just praying they don't do me like Maroon 5 and CANCEL THE BLOODY CONCERT leaving me heartbroken for many months after (heck, I'm still not over that one). Once bitten, twice shy.
Great post. I'm totally downloading that Bitter:Sweet song. I'm even thinking of downloading the whole album.
ReplyDeleteOne of my best song discoveries was when I was watching So You Think You Can Dance a couple seasons ago and they did a group dance to Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek". Several months later I heard it on the radio and they identified the title and artist and I ended up buying her album on iTunes later that day.
I never watch commercials b/c we have DVR too! But my current fave is the song Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Cailet (sp??). That's a fun one too.
ReplyDeleteFun post Kelly!
I didn't even know that had a new album, because yes, their last one was lame. But it's good to know they are making a come back.
ReplyDeleteI shall download.
That IS a great song. We too were digging it during AI finale. Look at all the people you've sent downloading. Itunes should pay you!
ReplyDeleteColdplay is coming in concert? They are my favorite band ever! I must go! I am loving your blog!
ReplyDelete