Monday, March 30, 2009

Shout Outs

I haven't missed an Oscar telecast in about 13 years. I love the fashion! The drama! The triumph! My least favorite part? When winners give a drawn-out, snooze-fest of a speech thanking 1,000 people I've never heard of. I also never miss a post on the satirical blog Seriously So Blessed, which regularly mocks not only blog posts that proclaim "My life is SO awesome!" but the writers who create them. So I'm definitely aware that public displays of gratitude can be a) boring b) irritating c) cloying or d) all of the above. But right now I owe so many people a thank you that I'm throwing caution to the wind in order to give some long overdue shout outs!

I want to say thank you to:

*My girls, for making me laugh every single day.


*My neighbor, Shannon, who asked and then insisted I let her watch the girls while I went to the doctor last week (I'm not the easiest person in the world to help sometimes). I don't think I could have survived my mini nervous breakdown over gaining ELEVEN pounds in four weeks with Sadie and Piper in tow.

*Dr. Smith, for not making a huge deal over said weight gain and agreeing it probably WAS all water. Also, for noticing/complimenting my favorite hot pink flats. The man knows how to protect/stroke a pregnant lady's fragile ego and for that I'm grateful.

*Wendy, for introducing me to the best pregnant girl theme song on the planet (you can listen by clicking here and then hitting play in the upper right hand corner). With apt lyrics like "walks in to the room/feels like a big balloon" and "diet Coke and a pizza, please," I feel understood AND ready to bust a move, all at the same time. This song has been indispensable to me this week.

*The Posse Wives, for organizing the best luncheon baby shower ever this Saturday! I thought we were just going out to lunch to celebrate the fact that I'm almost done with childbearing, so the unexpected gifts and treats floored me. These ladies made me feel so special and so loved (and that even though it's baby and girl #4, Tessa is a much loved, much anticipated kiddo). They should be at the top of this list, but I had to bury the picture down the page. (I see all eleven pounds--plus some!-- right there on my face. So much for the water theory! And I'm more than a little chagrined that after watching 12 cycles of America's Next Top Model that I have learned NOTHING about finding the light and turning my body to hide flaws. Argh! But everybody else looks really pretty so I had to include it.)


I suppose I also ought to thank Posse as well, for having such great taste in women!

*Laura, for coming to the rescue and watching the girls when Carter suddenly had to work during the shower. What a life saver.

*My mom, for everything but most especially for finding a way to help me clean my house from her island a thousand miles away. And thank you to my dad, also for everything, but especially for being SO right about Mad Men.

*Katie, for enthusiastically completing Chloe's Flat Stanley project this weekend. She carted Stan all around the Big Apple and documented their adventure in pictures. If that wasn't enough of a drag, she even put up with people running up to her and asking if that was Flat Stanley (apparently he's making the rounds all over the country and is pretty famous). It appears from all the pictures she sent (at Central Park, 5th Avenue, 30 Rock, and Serendipity) that Katie and Stanley had a wonderful time. I've never been so jealous of a paper man in my entire life.


*My far away loved ones (my in-laws, my grandparents, my aunt), for emailing and calling me to make sure I'm okay.

*Taylor, for teaching the girls how to karate fight (apparently girls aren't born with this skill the way boys are and must be carefully trained) and for losing the Sweet November bet. I can't wait for dinner next Sunday!

*Jack, my darling little nephew, for reminding me to be grateful for every heartbeat and fully oxygenating breath that I take. And thank you to Jack's parents, Lisa and Josh, for being the epitome of grace under fire and incredible examples of strength. We love you guys so much and are praying for Jack and his doctors and nurses!

*Carter. I could thank him for willingly putting in a full day at the office and then coming home and putting in a full evening at home. I could thank him for wiping noses, doling out medicine, changing diapers, sorting laundry, prepping meals, taking trips to the store and the thousand other things he does every day to keep this household going during a difficult pregnancy. But instead I'm going to thank him for seeing that newborn on the TV last night and proclaiming, "Awww, cute baby!" as he grabbed my hand. How much do I love that he loves kids so much?

*Last but not least, YOU, dear reader, for being here. The fact that people are willing to read/comment on/discuss with me what I'm sharing in this ever so vital outlet is incredibly gratifying. Thank you.

Okay. I'm done (I can hear the orchestra playing me off stage in my head). I'm glad I got all that off my chest.

12 comments:

  1. Awww, Carter made me cry. That is so cute. Truly, strength? That would be you and Carter, who are successfully running a family of SIX (that's right, when there is a pregnancy she counts as a family memeber) and you guys hold it all together and maintain a happy home. Seriously, good job to both of you. You are awesome, your kids are the best things to hear, watch, be around, and read about, and I'm so happy Tessa is coming to join the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big girl, you ARE beautiful!

    Great post. Much better than any Oscar speech I've ever heard. And I must thank YOU for introducing me to SSB blog. Makes me laugh with every post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girls are very adorable and I love being able to tend them, however I don't know how you do it day after day and endure a pregnancy all at the same time. Tessa is lucky to come into a house that's already one big slumber party!

    And I tell Chloe and Piper stories ALL the time and the best part is my friends and coworkers love it. I know because they start to ask about them when it's been awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post Kelly! I'm proud of you for posting that posse girl pic when I know how much you hate showing your pregnancy! But you look fabulous! So no worries... Anyway, thanks for sharing this one! And how about you let me have the girls over for a play date one of these days. And,,,you can't fight me on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This list of thanks just goes to show all you do and mean to others. So many people who want to be a part of an amazing woman's life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. seriously kelly you look great in that photo. can't even tell you have a human inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post. You are amazing and I don't even know you, but I feel like I do from your writing. I love the fact that you have seen all cycles of ANTM. Every year I tell myself I'm not going to watch, but then Oxygen has a marathon and I'm addicted once again. I don't think it will ever be as good as cycle one but the episodes never lack drama. Speaking of drama, I'll be checking your blog every Friday for the next installment of Jer3miah. I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly!! I'm so glad you have a wonderful OB. What a classy, wonderful man. I think fabulous OBs are essential.

    I'm so glad you included that picture with the Posse Wives. You are beautiful, whether you have a little more water or not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww- it's no wonder you're surrounded by incredible people. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey - that's my hand holding up Flat Stanley! He was so fun to take around NYC, I'm pretty sure we took more pictures of him than ourselves!

    ReplyDelete