First we decorated 17 hard boiled eggs (it would have been 18, but Sadie cracked one so I had to eat it).
We used markers because Mommy was too lazy to deal with dye. Also, Chloe was able to be more precise in applying the color. Tres important pour la petite artiste. She made one egg that looked exactly like a watermelon! Was this method less messy? Hmm, that's debatable. Everyone had a serious case of marker hands after we were done. But the girls liked it better and it was less nerve wracking than bowls filled with color just waiting to be spilled. It also kept them busy as they listened to Conference!
Then we drove to Sugarhouse Park and met up with cousin Jack and his gang. Thank you to Aunt Lisa for organizing this event/introducing us to this concept! Anyway, when we got there, we cracked the eggs together.
And then we tossed them down the hill.
Within seconds, TONS of seagulls were swarming. This was creepy to me on a couple of levels. First of all, it seemed kind of like cannibalism to me. Secondly, I have watched Hitchcock's The Birds too many times to feel comfortable around flapping, swooping hordes. Thankfully, we all left with our eyeballs intact.
The girls loved it. Well, until Chloe accidentally laid down in some bird doo. Then she FREAKED out. I did the best I could to clean her up with the pack of wet wipes I had, but it wasn't good enough. She freaked so hard and so long we had to leave. She cried the whole way home. We all learned an important lesson about NOT rolling around on the ground after tons of birds have been flying around. Two dozen eggs: $2.69. Pack of Markers: $1.25. Not ending the day covered in bird doo: Priceless.
Poor Chloe.
Poor Chloe!! That is a sad way to end such a fun activity. I think it's a great idea though (taking your easter eggs to the park for the birds...)
ReplyDeleteWow- that totally weirded me out for sme reason. ;D
ReplyDeleteI think after hearing about the cute egg decorating idea I just wasn't prepared as a reader to come with you to Sugarhouse park and deal with swarms of seagulls and their poo. Way to keep me on my toes. :)
Birds eating eggs...kind of makes you think. I can image the swarms of seagulls were kind of like the animals at the petty zoo. As soon as the animals realize that one of the kids has purchased feed for 25¢ it's like every kid for themselves. Quite the adrenaline rush. Cute idea though.
ReplyDeleteLet's try petting zoo. While I'm sure some of the animals there are quite petty, I would hate to insult the entire lot.
ReplyDeleteI was picturing Tom Petty playing a guitar in some sort of terrarium.
ReplyDeleteYeah, markers... hmmm. That does sound good since my kid's fingers are continually covered in marker anyway.
ReplyDelete