And what about Sadie? Well, for her moving out of the nursery means saying goodbye to the crib. She felt the excitement in the air last night and decided to sleep in her big girl bed (I did give her a choice but then again she never cared much for the crib in the first place). Here she is snug as a bug in a rug (this picture totally reminds me of the little "Kilroy Was Here" drawings my granddaddy used to do for me):
Chloe and Piper were excited to get a new roommate (how sweet is Piper in this picture? She's such the little nurturer!). I always start my toddlers out on just a mattress on the floor so that they can get in and out easily (and if they fall out of bed, they don't have very far to go before they land!). Anyway, Sadie did WAY better than I expected. She got out a few times before she fell asleep, but other than that she made it through the night and even slept in a bit.
I know I shouldn't get too excited because it could all fall apart tonight, but I can't help believing that this sleeping arrangement is going to work out well. I guess eight hours of sleep (in a row!!!!) has turned me into a cockeyed optimist.
"It could all fall apart tonight"? If she wasn't talking about the bunk beds themselves, she should be. I share the same fear.
ReplyDeleteHey, go with what works!
ReplyDeleteBunk beds have always been good for us.
Still loving the name Tessa.
The bedding on the girls' beds is so cute! I must admit I bought a set of sheets from Pottery Barn kids that I use on my bed. They are covered in tiny pink rosebuds and I must admit that I love it when they appear in the rotation.
ReplyDeleteOn another note -- I just finished watching the Jer3miah webisodes. I am hooked. I can't wait for the next installment.
I can't stop chuckling at the little head peeking out the top of that bed- hilareous!!!
ReplyDeleteThe top bunk railing thing totally worked for our first- she had no idea she could climb out. But these little monkeys figured it out in no time flat, and then couldn't get back in- which made the "cry-it-out" option kind of stupid.
I think the mattress on the floor might just be our solution! It's the only way they can get back in bed without having something to fall out of...
Yep. It's the only way. Nice! Thanks! I don't know what we would have gone through to figure that one out on our own- but it would have been a lot... ;D You just saved me who knows how many hours of frustration.
Oh Kelly!! 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep?? I'm so glad for you!! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that day, whenever it decides to come :)
ReplyDeleteI love that all three of your girls were able to sleep peacefully in the same room. And I'm totally impressed that Sadie is out of the crib, sleeping on a mattress/big girl bed! We were chicken w/ Eli and ended up buying a second crib for a really good deal from a friend's friend. Of course, Charlie may not sleep in a crib until he's 6 months at the rate we're going, but that's ok.
Sorry for the random comments. I think the bunk bed is so cute! I hope the sleeping continues to go well!
The bunk bed looks great! Nice work Cart! I hope this sleeping arrangement continues to work in your favor! Get as much sleep as you can before you add one more to the mix!!
ReplyDeleteAnyone interested in Night Two?
ReplyDelete3:00am - I wake up to the sound of Chloe coughing. She's always had a wall-penetrating cough, but it's worse now that she's on the top bunk -- she's mere inches away from me.
3:30am - I can't get back to sleep from this cough, so I go downstairs and tell Chloe she can't sleep there. I take her into the other room and put on a DVD for her and shut the door.
4:00am - I finally am able to drift back to sleep.
4:20am - I wake to the sound of Sadie crying.
4:21am - I intercept Sadie in the hall. I pick her up and take her back downstairs and lay her down. I lay down on the floor next to her.
4:40am-ish - I think she's almost asleep, or at least she won't notice if I were to quietly slip out. I begin to plan my escape. Body part by body part I lift myself from the ground, being careful to minimize the inevitable floor squeaks and joint cracks. I'm now on all fours...it's time! I eye the door, when suddenly...NO! Chloe traipses into the room, wrecking my entire plan. I violently motion her to leave, which she does. I get up and go see what she wants. Just then Sadie starts screaming, having undoubtedly noticed my absence. Chloe says she wants to sleep in her bed. I tell her no and go back to Sadie. Back to square one.
5:00am - I get Sadie calmed down and bolt when she's not looking. I go back upstairs and crawl into bed.
5:10am - Sadie's crying again. And there's a noise in the hallway. I investigate. It's Chloe. She reiterates her desire to sleep in her bed. I discover she had gone into her room, waking Sadie up in the process, before coming upstairs to double-check with me. Fine.
5:11am - I acquiesce and put Chloe in her bed. She probably won't cough anymore, right? I lay down on the floor so Sadie will go to sleep.
5:20am - I slip out but - convinced I'll be back really soon - I set up shop on the couch downstairs.
5:22am - Chloe coughs.
5:25am - Chloe keeps coughing every now and then. I tell myself if she coughs "ten more times", I'll move in. 10 coughs and 30 seconds later, I'm on my way...
5:26am - I remove Chloe from her bed and put her back on the couch. This time I don't turn on the TV and I lie down with her. Maybe the calming reassurance of my physical presence will help her go to sleep.
5:30am - I think it's working! She hasn't coughed in a few minutes and her breathing is heavy and regular. Just then - Sadie starts crying. Sweet!
5:31am - I extricate myself from Chloe, who had been almost asleep but was now wide awake again. I go into Sadie and lie down by her. She stops crying.
5:40am - I leave. Chloe is waiting for me in the hall. We go back to the couch. As soon as we get comfortable Sadie starts crying again.
5:42am - Unable to clone myself and comfort my daughters simultaneously, I'm at wit's end. Kelly comes downstairs, unable to sleep what with the alternating screams and coughs ricocheting through the house.
5:43am - We turn Chloe's movie back on. I take Sadie upstairs and changer her diaper. Kelly takes her into our bed. I ponder my next move. I decide I'll take Sadie's bed. I go down and peer across the room at Piper, who's awake and smiling at me.
5:45am - Piper starts coughing.
5:50am - I suggest to Piper that she go watch the movie with Chloe. She assents. I set her up out there.
5:55am - I go upstairs and into my room. Kelly and Sadie are watching TV. Hmmm. No sleep forthcoming THERE....I leave.
6:00am - I lay down on the upstairs couch. After 10 minutes or so, I fall asleep.
8:00-something. I'm awakened by various children requesting breakfast.
I don't even know what to say about Night 2 except, "I'm sorry." I hope you all have many more Night 1s in your future (I'm sure you will).
ReplyDeleteThird Night = Back to Night #1! Hooray!
ReplyDeleteGood grief. Night 2 sounded awful.
ReplyDeleteNoticed you were watching Nick and Norah's. Tell me if you agree that it seems a lot like Adventures in Babysitting. At least one of the characters.