Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Limericks and Leprechaun Freak Outs

We had a very eventful St. Patrick's Day. First of all, I want to congratulate Carter. He won first place in his company's limerick writing contest! Here is his entry:

One bright, sunny St. Patrick's Day
A leprechaun happened my way.
I demanded his gold
but sadly was told,
"In this global recession? No way."


And here is a picture of him with all the green loot he won (yeah, it's not money but it sure made some little girls happy when he brought it home):


So that's the limerick part. The Leprechaun Freak Out happened Monday night. Chloe, up to that point, was fascinated by the idea of leprechauns. She even built a leprechaun trap at school and set it up in her bedroom in hopes of catching one. As Carter was putting her to bed that particular night, he mentioned sometimes leprechauns turn things (like food) green. He was planning to turn some breakfast milk green as part of the St. Patty's fun. Anyway, Chloe FREAKED. She said, "What?!?! They're trying to POISON me!!!!" She cried and cried and cried. Carter tried to explain it was just for fun and the leprechauns wished her no harm whatsoever. Then I went down to try to reason with her. I found myself telling all of these fantastic lies about how the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and Santa all hang out with leprechauns and love 'em, so she shouldn't be afraid. Chloe wasn't buying it. Finally, Carter got desperate and told her there was no such thing. He took her upstairs to help him add food coloring to the milk. Despite Cart's candid admission (which could have taken down Santa and the rest of the gang had Chloe put two and two together) , Chloe still believes in them. She somehow calmed down that night and then made it through the next day at school, coloring endless facsimiles of them and even making a costume to turn HERSELF into one. Still, please do NOT mention them to her. Piper, on the other hand, was delighted by the green milk (Chloe stayed quiet about her part in that), loves leprechauns, and had a great day.


For me, the best part of the day was satisfying all my crazy cravings! Last night I indulged in all THREE!!! I got my sushi at a great restaurant (thanks, Abby!) and then walked over to The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory for the bears! Yum! When I got home, I watched two episodes of 30 Rock. I decided to use the rest of my iTunes gift card (my Valentine's gift from Carter) to buy up the 30 Rock episodes that aren't on Hulu to catch myself up and then DVR the rest of the season. I just couldn't wait for the summer (and I'm glad I didn't! That Oprah episode had me laughing so hard I was crying). It was the greatest night until I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst heartburn I have ever had in my life. I was reminded of the SATs as I laid awake in my bed. TUMS : My Heartburn equals Glass of Water : Towering Inferno. Not pretty. I can't decide if the culprit was the sushi or the bears (I'm giving Liz Lemon a pass--I highly doubt she's responsible). So I'm afraid I'll have to avoid both until my internal organs shift back into their proper positions. Still, I sure lived it up last night!

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if I ever "believed" in leprechauns. But if for some reason I had green elixir instead of milk for breakfast, I might get suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lifted that "green elixir" line right out of "Wicked". Admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- I can remember EXACTLY how Chloe feels. How funny- I hadn't thought of it until reading this!

    So glad you quenched your sushi-cinna-rock thirst. I think the Oprah one is the funniest I've seen... now I'ma gonna watch me some LOST. Ta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a pretty sweet story about leprechaun poisoning. I can only imagine the dramatics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fantastic lies!! It takes great creativity to be a good parent. Good job Kelly and Carter :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is too funny about Chloe. I love that y'all turned the milk green!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job on the Limerick Cart!
    Ohhhh! Poor Chloe. Don't you love it when things you think would be fun for kids backfire like that? Especially right before bed.
    And I'm sorry about the heartburn. Water would give me heartburn when I was pregnant. I couldn't win! You're almost done....forever!!

    ReplyDelete