Chloe's eardrum burst for the fourth time this year about two weeks ago. The pediatrician told me it was time to take her to the ENT (not only to avoid the excruciating pain of the severe infection, but also to protect her hearing). I knew that was going to mean tubes and potentially getting her tonsils out (because, like Piper, she had very, very large tonsils, lots of sore throats, swollen glands, and some snoring issues). I decided to put off the visit until after she finished first grade (and I finished all the obligations I've had over the last two weeks). I took her in to see Dr. Stevens on Monday, and sure enough, we got the news it was time for her tubes to go in and her tonsils to come out. We scheduled the surgery for Friday (yesterday).
Because Chloe was the only patient of the day (as opposed to the two kiddos we did in March), I was able to document EVERYTHING:
Here is Chloe listening to my iPod in the waiting room. Piper really liked having her own playlist in the hospital, so I offered to make one for Chloe. Piper chose Michael Jackson, Beyonce, and Lady Gaga. Chloe requested Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.
Chloe was such a cooperative patient. She got measured and weighed. Then she had her blood pressure and pulse/oxygenation levels measured. She was nervous about shots, but once the nurse reassured her that she wouldn't be getting any (at least while she was conscious), Chloe was chatting and giggling with her.
Chloe was really, really excited to finally get her own little rainbow bear (every other sister has gotten one at their tube surgery). She kept saying, "I always wanted one of these!" She named her bear Max and informed me that he was also getting his tonsils out (and getting some green tubes in to match his fur).
Next we dressed her in her hospital garb. She wasn't a fan of the socks. We met with the anesthesiologist and talked with Dr. Stevens. Then it was time for them to wheel her away to the operating room. She just smiled and said bye to me. Not one bit of crying. Dr. Stevens told me later that he was so impressed with how brave she was. He said most kids get really scared when they get into the operating room. They start to cry and fight to get away. He said Chloe was charming the staff with her friendly chatting and her giggles.
I waited in the waiting room for about thirty minutes. It's nerve wracking because with a tonsillectomy they have to get an IV and have a breathing tube. I always bring a good fashion magazine to distract me (I can never focus on the plot of a novel in those situations). After a few articles, Dr. Stevens came out and told me everything went very well. I got to go back and wait for her to come out of recovery.
This is the hardest part usually. Piper screamed and cried. And then she told me to get away from her. I was bracing for the worst because I knew how much pain Chloe would be in. But she was so brave! She didn't cry at all (although I did see little tears dripping down her cheeks). Once I was with her, she relaxed and went to sleep. She kept waking up in pain, so we got her some more pain medication. That upset her stomach, so she had to get some anti-nausea medication through her IV. But she kept her eyes closed through most of that.
While she was resting, the nurse talked to me about how to take care of Chloe over the next few days. We went over medicines and the importance of keeping Chloe hydrated (including waking her up every few hours all through the night). Pretty standard stuff. But then she started going on and on about bloody scabs in Chloe's throat. Then she started talking about all the blood Chloe probably swallowed during the surgery that she could start throwing up at any time. I started to get very, very lightheaded. I had to ask her to stop and fan myself with the fashion magazine. She kinda freaked and ran to get me juice and cookies. I felt kind of foolish. But really, you shouldn't talk about people's kid's bloody throat scabs so much if you don't want them to feel faint!
A few hours later, we were able to get discharged. At first Chloe didn't want to leave. I asked her why and she told me she didn't think she could walk. The nurse told her she could get a ride in a wheelchair. That made her smile. She relished her ride to the parking lot.
Soon after we got her settled at home, she was ready to try some of the ice cream she had been promised. Her sisters, who were keeping her company, decided to have some, too!
We also put Chloe's bravery award on display. The nurse gave it to her as she was leaving the hospital. Nurse Bloody Throat Scabs said they don't give them out very often (I can back her up on that--nobody in our family has ever gotten one before and we're practically regulars in that outpatient surgical center!). Chloe was terribly proud. (I did not get one.)
She's been resting and taking her medication without too much complaint. My sister-in-law, Lisa, taught me the trick of referring to them as Foofa and Plex from Yo Gabba Gabba (Lisa is a genius when it comes to dealing with kids in the hospital and post-surgery. Unfortunately, she's had WAY too much experience with those things. But I'm always glad to get good tips about parenting through these stressful situations! I'm trying to convince her to write a book about it). This trick really does help. Chloe doesn't mind the Foofa, but the Plex is tough to get down. But she's hasn't fought too much so far.
I can tell that Chloe is feeling better already, although her voice sounds a little funny. Her pain medication makes her pretty dizzy, so when she ventures out of bed she has to brace herself against the wall. It's sad and cute at the same time. Anyway, I think we're in for a smooth recovery period over the next ten days. Still, I'm PRAYING this will be the last surgery for a very, very long time. In the last twelve months, every one of my children has had to have surgery. I've had it! This has to be the end, right?
Time to go get Chloe some more cookies and cream ice cream! That's both her and Max's favorite!

You definately deserve a surgery-free 48 months now. I'll start the timer.
ReplyDeleteChloe looks like such a grown-up girl!
That is just crazy! Where's your bravery award?
ReplyDeleteGood job Chloe!!
How amazing is it that she's smiling in most of those pictures...
ReplyDeleteHey, what was her pulse ox at? (Just curious.)
ReplyDeleteI wasn't paying too much attention. I remember looking over at one point during recovery and it was at 95.
ReplyDelete