Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New York: Everything Else

Wow, blogging this four-day trip has suddenly become a massive undertaking.  I'm just going to cover everything else we did in one final blow.  And then we don't have to speak of New York again.  Here we go!

*We spent almost all of Saturday shopping in SoHo.  We were far too busy to take pictures, but I did manage to get myself a couple of lovely souvenirs that day (including the dress I wore to Wicked).  Shopping in New York is incredible.  Sigh.


Katie did get a blurry picture of me in the cab we took because we were too exhausted after all that shopping to walk to the subway.  Those things sure go fast (and sure make me carsick)!

*We went to church and saw the Manhattan LDS Temple.



*We went out to dinner at Houston's (except it's not called Houston's.  But don't worry, the spinach and artichoke dip is the same.  I had the best burger of my life there).  We took a couple of pictures on the street right in front of Katie's apartment in the financial district.  Yes, this is what you see right outside her front door.  The view of Trinity Church is fantastic.



*We shopped at Dylan's Candy Bar (to get souvenirs for Carter and the girls) and got mani/pedis. 


*I saw the spot where George Washington took the oath of office and the New York Stock exchange (gotta love the financial district!).  Tragically, we forgot to walk by the famous bull statue.  Oh, well.  There's always next time . . .



*We hit Magnolia Bakery (although Baked By Melissa's cupcakes were far superior.  Yes, I am a cupcake connoisseur after four days in Manhattan.  New Yorkers sure love their cupcakes and I made sure to sample plenty!).




*We went to Central Park and Katie showed me her favorite spot there (and wouldn't let me leave without having a hot dog).



*I had breakfast in bed (via delivery from George's).  I can't remember the last time that happened.

*We watched silly movies (Whip It, Dear John, Leap Year and Valentine's Day) and relaxed.

*I met Katie for lunch at her office on Monday.  I met her co-workers (and her boss, who, Katie tells me, is still laughing over the fact that we talk and gesture exactly the same).  This picture is not far from her office (which is, obviously, close to the harbor).  New Jersey is over my shoulder.




*I saw the Statue of Liberty and Ground Zero.  One was much smaller than I expected, one was even more horrific than I expected (I'll let you figure out which was which).  No pictures.  D'oh!

*I got totally intimidated on my trip to Century 21 (Sami, I totally agree with you!).

*I hailed my final cab and survived four hours in JFK (after three gate changes and a two hour delay).  I made it home FINALLY.

Yep, pretty much the trip of a lifetime!  HUGE thank yous to Katie (who treated me like a queen while showing me her town) and Carter (who totally supported this getaway and took great care of the girls while I was gone).  I feel like a new woman after getting to experience the energy of that great city.  I <3 NY!

3 comments:

  1. I am SO glad you got to get away and visit your sister! It looks like you had an amazing trip. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm dying to go to New York again. I think I've been about four times, but next time I want Katie as my guide. And I want you there too Kelly. There. It's a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Someday, a future Posse Trip needs to include New York. I'd love to go, but I feel like that's a place to go with someone who knows the area.

    ReplyDelete