Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Back to the Bob

Yup, it's time for another posting about hair! I know I do this a lot. Maybe because as the mother of three (almost four) little girls, I spend an inordinate amount of time doing hair (and therefore thinking and blogging about it). Washing, conditioning, blow drying, braiding, brushing, and hairbowing for these ladies can take a lot out of a person. Even more if one of them fights every step of the way. Chloe loves having long hair (I believe this relates to the hair trauma she endured a year and a half ago) yet hates the above list of activities passionately. She never wants to wash it, but she puts up such a royal fuss about pulling it back into a ponytail that I could just scream. (Apparently her ears are "private" and hairstyles that show them off are not okay.) As I've grown crankier this pregnancy, the threats for chopping it all off have increased. Pretty much every day we were having a show down. Today was the day I made good on my word and we went back to the bob that I like so much on her.

This is what Chloe looked like before:


Note how tangled her hair looks--I had JUST brushed it. Annoying. But I do think they all look pretty cute here. This was taken right as they were all coming down with Swine Flu. (Who am I to argue with all the cable news segments that insist we're all going to die from it?) Let me tell you, if you want to make your 38th-39th week of pregnancy really super special, I highly recommend being the primary caregiver to three feverish, puking, diarrhea-ing, coughing children under the age of seven. Anyway, I just couldn't take Chloe's complaining any more so I made Carter take her to Great Clips on his way to pick up the prescription waiting at the pharmacy (yup, I forgot to mention that Sadie has developed yet another ear infection in my list of super fun symptoms. Those tubes did nothing. Well, except now I know immediately when she has an infection because pus starts flowing out of her ears. Gross but true.). I wrote out exactly what he should tell the stylist (shoulder-length bob with an undercut in back and bangs right above the eye brows). And that's pretty much what we got (I'd say it's more chin length, but what do I care? Less hair to deal with!):


Yeah, she's not too happy about it. I asked her if she was mad at me for making her get a hair cut. She said no, she was mad at the scissors. She also said that she doesn't want to talk until her hair is long again. For some reason, I don't believe that will pan out. She did try (a little) to give me a smile a few frames later:


Carter joined in the fun and lopped off all of his hair today, too. What a show of solidarity.


That man sure loves a good buzz cut. Bobs and buzzes. Gotta love it.

9 comments:

  1. I think Chloe's hair is darling in a bob!! Great summer 'do.

    I am SO sorry you are 39 weeks prego and dealing with 3 sick kids. Yuck. That is a lot to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cute! Tell Chloe she has two secret admires at our house. I hope everyone feels better so you can rest. Wait what am I saying, that doesn't happen even when everyone is well, happy, and fed right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they really have Swine Flu?!! It seems so far away on TV. Wow- not fun. Maybe better than after baby came, but still- ugh.

    Cute cut! That was a pretty cute "sad face," too. Brave girl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't think it's really swine flu. They just came down with it right at the same time all drama on TV started happening. So I just call it swine flu. For fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It makes my ears hear too well."

    --Chloe, protesting a ponytail

    ReplyDelete
  6. She totally rocks that bob and looks fabulous with short hair. The one bob I had was a disaster, so I'm pretty jealous she can pull it off so successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chloe does wear a bob well.....so no harm done! I love how Chloe thinks her ears are private! Funny, funny...Chloe Jayne. Oh and please DO NOT hesitate to call us if you go into labor. Day or night. I can come over and stay with your girls. FOR REALZ! I hope everyone starts to feel better soon....including you,,,NOT being pregnant! Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Bob. If wearing your hair in a ponytail causes your ears to "hear too well" there are going to be a few boys in my class who will be sportin' a new do. If only. Another classic Chloe-ism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man. I don't know who has it worse, you or me. But Jack looks ALOT like Piper in that first photo, right now. He's not doing to so hot. He's thrown up all day and is so pale it is freaky to look at him.

    I'm glad that your girls are still so super cute, even with the pig flu.

    ReplyDelete