Thursday, May 7, 2009

Exploding Ear Drums and Other Fun Activities

Piper Before Her Ear Drum Burst Today:


Piper After Her Ear Drum Burst Today:


You know, I thought I was a seasoned mother in all things related to ear infections. After all, I have nursed babies and toddlers through dozens of them. I thought I had seen it all. But I had never seen a burst ear drum. Before, I would have thought the above pictures would be reversed. I would have guessed that after one's ear drum explodes from the pressure of a severe infection, one would feel worse. But no! It's just the opposite. It makes you feel better! You learn something new every day.

Poor Piper had the worst night of her life last night (followed by the worst morning). She was in such agonizing pain that Carter actually had to drive her around in the van in the middle of the night to calm her down. We tried a heating pad and plenty of ibuprofen, but the poor kid didn't get much sleep. This morning she looked like death. Then, around eleven she came to me saying something sticky was coming out of her ear. I will spare you the gruesome details, but let's just say I'm scarred for life by that "sticky" stuff. Thankfully we already had an appointment at the pediatrician set and he confirmed what I suspected: a burst ear drum. Turns out she has one ear with a tube still in it and one without (guess which ear drum burst? Yup, her tubes actually work when it comes to preventing infection!) She is on some serious antibiotics now and has perked up considerably. She was even up for trying on her new ballet dress and doing her new ballet video with her sisters (thank you, Grandma Rose!):



Sadie wasn't feeling the group shot.


So yes, I definitely had a new mommy experience today. I'm relieved that we got a happy ending. And that today is over!

4 comments:

  1. Sunny and Molly had this same thing. That's right, I had twins with tubes and bursting eardrums. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly, that first picture is SO sad. I can only imagine how awful your night was and am so glad Piper is feeling better now!!

    And that group shot is hilarious by the way. I love Sadie's tears (mostly because Eli is in tears 50% of the time these days - ahhh almost 2-year-olds!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, poor Pipes! I actually thought you were kinda joking when we were talking on the phone and you remarked oh! so casually (or maybe just with exhaustion) that you thought Piper's eardrum had burst. Goes to show you have earned your veteran mommy stripes!

    Love to all the Little Woman and to Carter for being such a great dad he'll drive his ear-achy princess around in the middle of the night to try and bring her some relief. So sweet!

    Love, Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch Piper! I can't imagine how that would feel, but thank goodness it's over! Did her tube fall out of the infected ear? A lot of good that did. The girls look great in their ballet outfits!

    ReplyDelete