Monday, December 1, 2008

D'OH!

It hasn't even been a full calendar year since our last haircutting incident. Honestly. But after I washed and combed out Piper's hair tonight I discovered this:


Yeah, she cut the hair right at the front of her head down to her scalp. Fabulous. Obviously I need to get rid of all the scissors in my home (or at least put alarms on them).


There is absolutely nothing that can be done. No cute haircuts can save this mess. We just need time now. I'm such a pro at these hair disasters now. I didn't scream or cry like last time. By the time that Sadie does this, which she most certainly will as this seems to be a genetic thing with my kids, I doubt I'll even reach for the camera.



Thankfully Piper has curly hair which will disguise her bald spot pretty well. And, as you can see, a little distance makes it fade from view. She must have done this on Saturday (she had her hair in braids the last two days and I did notice a kind of funky spot on her head yesterday--I thought she slept on it badly). So if it took me two days to realize what happened, I'm hoping no one will notice (what a bad mom I am for letting this happen AGAIN).

After my discovery and an intense questioning/lecturing period, I asked Piper what she did with the hair. She said she hid it under the chair in the living room for a while but then had to throw it in the garbage because she was afraid somebody would find it. At least she handled the disposal herself. When Chloe did this, I found a pile of hair under my bed a couple months later. Funny how hiding transgressions comes so naturally for even the smallest of children!

And now, as part of my grieving process, we need to have a moment of silence for her glorious locks that are, alas, no more. I doubt we'll be doing many blow-outs in the near future.

Sigh.

13 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry! Tragic!

    But her face in that first picture is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You handled this so much better than the last one.

    Piper. What possesses little girls to do this? I mean, I remember doing it myself, but WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not a bad mom. some kids have different fedishes (sp?). And you never know what they'll be until the disaster has occured.
    I'm betting that it won't be much noticed because of the curly do.
    See you tonight at the game?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't micro bangs the latest fashion craze?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you didn't notice for two days, I'm thinking the braid "do" is your best bet, huh? Bahahahaha! Awesome. I think this stuff is worth the memory.

    I'm just waiting. All three of mine have gotten a hold on the scissors at some point- already! I don't think they've ever seen me take scissors to hair before though, so hopefully they won't figure that out for a while.

    I will now leave you to your grieving.

    Bahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that last picture of her makes it worth it... for me at least! she is such a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For what it's worth, I would probably NEVER notice if Kelly hadn't told me. I think it's fine.

    I did find a huge chunk of hair under the alleged chair last night. So I don't know how much of it she disposed of herself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I just want to say that Kelly's a GREAT mom and wife; she's been doing awesome lately. Despite being sick and me being gone the last two nights, she's been dealing with hair crises, keeping the house clean, etc. and still managed to put up the Christmas tree and decorations! What a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geordie says, "It looks like she's trying to re-usher in the age of the Mullet." Viva la '80s!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness she rethought the power mullet/micro-micro bangs after one snip!

    ReplyDelete