Infants, toddlers and preschoolers, while at times deceptively cute and innocent, are torture machines. That may sound harsh, but ask any parent who has been forced, against their will, to read a really annoying book or watch an incredibly stupid movie over and over again (I still bear mental scars from when Chloe had Mike Meyers' The Cat In the Hat on a repeat loop three years ago). It's a fact of life. Their tactics can vary from misuse of bodily fluids to creating piles of laundry so large they cannot be fully dealt with until 2012. I have even heard of a woman who was forced by a 3-year-old to listen to Hootie and the Blowfish's "I Only Want to Be With You" on repeat every time they took a car ride. And this went on for several months. But for me, the absolute worst form of abuse a child can inflict on a parent is Sleep Torture.This week has been especially rough in that department. A child crying out in the night, forcing me up out of my warm bed has happened at least once a night. On Sunday, I was actually awakened in the pre-dawn hours by someone barfing on me, right there in my bed. I thought I had endured the worst they could do, but really they were just wearing me down so that last night's carefully plotted maneuver would inflict maximum suffering. Chloe started at 1 AM, with a seemingly legitimate 45-minute coughing jag that ended only when I took her a glass of water and moved her to a room that didn't share an air vent with mine. An hour later (just enough time for me to drift back to sleep and be cruelly yanked out again), Piper began screaming like someone had cut off her foot. The reason? The water glass by her bed was empty. Thirty minutes after THAT, it was Sadie's turn. The only thing that could make her stop crying was pulling her into bed with me. Then, in an alarming show of loyalty to the existing brood, the new guy hit me with a bout of "morning" sickness so severe that I spent two hours with my jaw locked, holding perfectly still in the fetal position, to keep from puking out all of my internal organs. It may have been the paranoid delusions of an exhausted mind, but "They got me! They got me good!" kept repeating in my head. One person cannot stand up against that kind of team work.
I believed I was fully prepared for sleep deprivation going into motherhood. After all, I had survived another type of sleep torture known as Early Morning Seminary for four years. Though I struggled the entire time, by the end of my senior year I was dragging myself out of bed, driving 20 minutes to the seminary building in the pitch black coldness, and managing to do nothing more than glare at the sarcastic high councilman who would greet me with a "Good Afternoon!" if I was more than three minutes late. While that certainly was a test of the will, I was a fool to believe that would help me survive my current form of punishment. That's like standing up to a second grade bully at recess and believing you're now prepared to go head to head with Jack Bauer. Silly.
I'm up against trained operatives here. My kids begin working on their torture skills in utero, practicing keeping me up with scorching heartburn and swift kicks to the bladder. The newborn waking/feeding schedule is also an excellent warm-up for them. But the actual torture doesn't come until they instill a false sense of security in you. They do this by starting to regularly sleep through the night, giving you the idea that you have "sleep trained" them. While this step seems like a big improvement, that's when the actual torture begins. Because as soon as night wakenings come with the sense that "This Shouldn't Be Happening," they have you at their mercy. You can develop some coping skills. After years of practice, I can breastfeed, change a diaper, or strip wet bedding in a state pretty close to sleep (literally with my eyes closed). And there's a reason why three of my five listed beauty miracles have to do with hiding the ever-darkening circles under my eyes. But those are completely useless against the group effort I endured last night.
I'm trying to figure out what they want from me. I suspect they believe they can push me into serving Ramen noodles three meals a day or doling out unlimited packages of fruit snacks if I'm tired enough (the non-comatose version of me attempts to serve dishes that actually contain nutrients and limit gummy consumption to 1-2 packets a day). Perhaps it's information they want. Do they want to know about the facts of life or my "in" with Santa? If so, I'm ready to sing like an American Idol contestant during Hollywood week. Anything for six hours of sleep in a row.
I know that more advanced methods of sleep torture are coming my way. Sadie has been experimenting with what I call "The Reverse Sleep Torture." This involves giving up her afternoon nap so that she can act beastly from the hours of 3 pm until bedtime. And I've heard of the teenage version of sleep torture, which involves being two hours late for your midnight curfew with your much older, tattooed boyfriend. I'm thankful I have a few years to gear up for that. Hopefully by taking a couple of naps.
Kelly, I (yawn) really enjoyed the first couple of paragraphs of your post; unfortunately (yawn) I keep falling asleep before I can read the whole thing. I look forward t
ReplyDeletedfjk;j
djfkldkowppppokjsdsaaaazzzzzded
ssa kkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
How did you manage to write this, woman!?! That is so funny- Mia just pulled the exact same coughing at 12:30, crying til 1 fit last night- and I swear- the part that makes it so annoying is the feeling that it shouldn't be happening. If I could somehow resign myself to the fact that being a mom means never sleeping normally again for the rest of my life, I guess I would feel a lot more grateful on the two nights a month I get a full eight uninterrupted hours. (Yes, eight- me on a regular schedule of six hours is like watching a train wreck.)
ReplyDeleteYou poor puking mommy. I'm the same way- I get way sicker when I'm tired or over-exerted. Sheez, Kell- get some rest! Listen to some Hootie- that'll calm you right down. ;D
And hey- it seems the second you tell your kid you WANT them to play the song- they lose interest... just a thought. Ended my months of torture, anyway.
I agree that the nausea/morning sickness is worse when you're sleep deprived. Holy cow Kelly, the fact that you could write an entertaining, well written depiction of your week is pretty amazing.
ReplyDeleteThe part about Chloe throwing up in your bed made me laugh out LOUD. Seriously. The thought of that happening really made me cringe. You are a TROOPER.
And I feel you on the Sadie not napping well... I'd say Eli's poor napping lately has been a source of MAJOR aggravation for me! Yesterday it was all I could do to not put him to bed for the night at 4 p.m. when he was crying/throwing fits every five minutes. Instead, I channeled my tired, patience-worn-thin energy into eating way too much candy as a way to handle the stress.
Hang in there!!
I would cry too if I woke up and my water glass was empty. Not getting barfed on is definitely one major plus of being single. Hope all in the Carter and Kelly household get to feeling better.
ReplyDeleteUm...
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry......
Ok, so just as I got to the fourth paragraph Eli woke up crying. I think he could sense that I was reading about naughty little children and wanted to add his two cents.
ReplyDeleteI think you need a white noise machine in your room so you can't hear your children when they wake up. Then maybe you could get a few more minutes of sleep before they bang your door down.
I am not going to make any cracks, like, "You made your barfy bed, now lie in it..." I promise I won't ;-)
ReplyDeleteWill someone please get this woman Twelve Au Pairs for Christmas? STAT!
Oh, you didn't tell me about all this LAST NIGHT! I can't believe you were still sitting upright and speaking coherently to me.
ReplyDeleteYou oughta wrote a book.
I'm serious.
You could make moms all over the world feel vindicated, understood, and like they do an important job, all while making them laugh.
I'll write that in your front review flap. Two thumbs up.
4 stars. Pulitzer Prize nominations are piling up!
Why do they do this to us? And why can our husband's sleep through the whole thing? And why can't they, just once, scream "Daddy!" in the middle of the night!
ReplyDelete