Us Then:
Us Now:

*We got engaged on February 29, 2000. Yup, Leap Day. And this wasn't just any Leap Day. At the beginning of each century, Leap Day gets skipped. But, every 400 years, there is an exception and they don't skip leap day. So our engagement was the exception to the exception. It was definitely one of the most exceptional days of my life, that's for sure!

*Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt got married the day after we did. Thank goodness Angelina Jolie never ran into Carter on a film set . . .
*This is our engagement photo (included in our announcements). We were scheduled to take them at the castle behind the mental hospital in Provo, but two days before the photo shoot, Carter got a wedding announcement from his last girlfriend. And guess where her photos were taken? Yeah, rescheduling and relocating was a MUST. I couldn't come up with a new site in time and I lost the photographer (she was leaving town for a few months and I couldn't wait that long to get the invitations out!). I was discouraged at the time, but I love this picture of us, taken by Tim Kelley (of Posse fame) by a random lilac bush near an elementary school.
*Our first date was to a Chopin concert and Sconecutters for milkshakes. That was my LAST first date. Carter, on the other hand, took Kathy (aka November 8th) to a Utah Chamber Artists concert after we had started dating. Lucky for me, Walter Whipple (Carter's Polish professor) served as chaperon/third wheel and the date didn't go so well.
*Carter's genetic code + My genetic code = very cute (and very feminine) results (see above photo for proof of this equation!)
*Carter and I met in our Family Home Evening group at BYU (ironically on the day I saw my last boyfriend off on his mission!). How's that for typical? One time Carter gave a talk in sacrament meeting and said we met as hostages in a bank robbery. I think that's far more interesting.

*Our celebration theme this year was Knights and Castles. We had dinner out, saw The Dark Knight, and then stayed at our FAVORITE bed and breakfast, The Castle Creek Inn. Last night was the first night I spent without a baby since I became a mother five and a half years ago. Let me tell you, waking up when I wanted to and eating a gourmet breakfast that somebody else made (without going on diaper duty first!) was divine. Carter wanted to take me away for longer, but I figured I'd better do baby steps and start with just one night. Mini-breaks are the best! (Thank you, Becky, for making it happen!)
Happy Anniversary, Carter!
What great random facts!! I love all of the pictures you included too. Happy anniversary - I'm so glad you got a quick break. I am fine w/ quick getaways for now... but for our 10-yr I am determined to go to Hawaii with Ben. We'll see if I can pull myself away from the kids though - I still can't bear the thought of leaving Eli for a night! So you are my role model - way to go for taking the plunge!
ReplyDeleteCan I just say that 9 times out of 10 these "word verifications" are ACTUAL words in Polish?
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that about your engagement picture, tgat's pretty funny. I liked your picture a lot. So many people go SO wrong with those.
Good one, Carter, about the word verifications.
Happy Anniversary! I love hearing the stories. Sounds like ya'll had a wonderful anniversary.
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! Carter's so lucky he got you (and vice-versa, I guess, but I definately think Carter got a great situation! And I should give props to Carter as well -- because of your marriage to him I got a great friend!
ReplyDeleteI love how she explains that my genetic code is basically feminine. Thanks. And that whole thing about that "date" with Kathy?! Good grief. To this day I don't know why that irks Kelly. But anyway, isn't it funny how Kelly looks exactly the same at 28 as she did at 20? And I look like way older? Yes.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKelly, You always look so beautiful! And the older we get, the more dazzling you become! I loved pictures; I can't believe it has been eight years!
ReplyDeleteKelly, good one about November
ReplyDelete8th. I, for one, am grateful for November 8th because Rachel can never remember her brother's birthday. And I have no trouble at all remembering its on November 8th. So I always stick it to her. Lovingly, of course.
Cart, what's "lapiqxu" in Polish?
Agreed. Kelly is very beautiful. As beautiful as the day we got married, as the pictures attest. The only thing different is me. OH, and we look way more tan in that wedding pic.
ReplyDeleteBrett, it means, "sellout"
ReplyDelete