I'm having trouble going into my upstairs bathroom. And it has to do with the drawing on the left (I had to go with the drawing because the actual pictures I found on the web were making me cry).About a week ago, I was in Sadie's room getting her diapered and dressed following a bath. All of a sudden, I heard Chloe start yelling in the bathroom (she and Piper were sitting in their towels, waiting for me to finish with Sadie). She was screaming there was a spider, so I told her to find a shoe and kill it (I'm trying to raise empowered women who can kill their own spiders here). She started getting more upset and said that she couldn't do it. I sighed and walked in expecting to find a Daddy Longlegs. In fact, I found that pictured guy's brother. Chloe explained that it was most certainly a Wolf spider (she did a whole unit on spiders at preschool. I guess they are trying to create empowered women who can identify what type of spider they are killing). He was ginormous (at least the size of a silver dollar) and emerging from the bath toy basket that the kids were JUST reaching into minutes before. I screamed for Carter (so much for modeling brave, empowered femininity). Unfortunately, he was at a meeting. So I knew I had to deal with this guy myself (moving to a new house would be the only option if he made it out alive). I told Chloe to baby-sit the spider and ran to grabbed the worst chemical I could find under the sink, which turned out to be carpet cleaner (remember the toilet training experiment from two weeks ago?). I ran back and sprayed the mean looking spider for a good 20 seconds. He was adequately paralyzed at the point, so I flicked him off the toys with a cup (why oh why did he have to be on TOYS?) and then I smashed him hard with a shoe. He was so big that his guts exploded everywhere. My hands were trembling and I had to sit down. Just then, Carter got home. He was a perfect gentleman and cleaned the guts mess for me.
So yeah, I just can't shake the feeling that the spider's buddies are crawling around my house, seeking revenge. I shudder just thinking about it. Why did he have to be on the toys?!?!? And why didn't I have the presence of mind to take a picture of either the live spider or the guts for blogging purposes? Talk about losing my cool . . .
Eeewww. Spiders are one thing, but ginormous spiders are a whole new ballgame. I'm proud of you for smashing it. I don't know if I could have kept my cool.
ReplyDeleteActually killing the spider is the empowering thing. You don't have to do with panache or grace--you just have to kill it. The rest is unimportant!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA...Kelly, I'm totally with you on spiders...I'm acually impressed that Chloe knew what a wolf spider was!
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed that you killed it too!! That is NOT my area. The other day I lifted up a bath toy that was on our bathroom floor and there was a beetle underneath it, still alive. I screamed (Eli looked confused and concerned) and I grabbed about half a roll of toilet paper, wadded it up and killed it. I don't know WHAT I would have done in your situation - that spider sounds horribly scary. Gross on the guts!! Hopefully your bravery scared away all of the spider's buddies :)
ReplyDeleteKelly, honey, it could have been FAR worse. The spider could have been on your Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask or the Ped Egg instead of the toys.
ReplyDeleteEver since Mimi had to kill the baby (and therefore more poisonous than its mama) SCORPION that crawled out of her pillowcase in Texas just as she was about to lie down on it, spiders just aren't the quintessential nightmare creatures they used to be.
Great blogging tho, you had me right there visualizing the whole thing! But change it to a baby scorpion next time. They're scarier.
XO,
Mimi