Friday, July 11, 2008

And We're Dancin'!

Okay, please tell me I'm not the only one who has been caught watching dumb movies on cable! The other day Carter discovered me indulging (yet again) in my favorite movie to discover while channel surfing: Center Stage. He walked in, watched for three seconds, and said (while walking right back out of the room), "This is too stupid." I do not know why I feel the compulsion to watch this puppy every time I see it's on (and according to Carter, it's on ALL the time). The logical part of my brain tells me that the plot is thin and the acting is bad, yet I get sucked into all Jody's drama every single time! Will she choose Cooper or Charlie? Will she ever become one of ABA's perfect ballerinas? Will she be able to complete the jaw-dropping costume changes during her final number? (How does she get her hair up into that complicated, dreadlocked up-do AND switch from pink shoes to red in the blink of an eye? Oh, right, film editing.) I think the GREAT dance numbers have a lot to do with it. But why do I watch the whole thing?

Do you have movies you HAVE to watch every time you find them on TV? Do you have a particular film that fills you with glee when you manage to catch the ending on a late night at home? Are they as shameful as my #1? Please say yes! (In the spirit of full disclosure, When Harry Met Sally, Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Sleepless in Seattle, and The Silence of the Lambs round out my Top Five Movies-I-Cannot-Resist-When-They-Come-On-TV. I will watch them each and EVERY time I find 'em).

Oh, and Carter's incredulity at my ability to watch Center Stage over and over would bother me a lot more if HIS favorite cable movie weren't Save The Last Dance, a movie that contains both ballet and dancing love triangles (although, admittedly, much better acting). We actually have that one on DVD.

8 comments:

  1. I love all kinds of lame movies they end up showing later on cable! It's the best. All of those Bring it On movies - so stupid, but so fun since I cheered in high school. I LOVE watching Mean Girls over and over too - so we always watch that too (Ben likes the rapping Indian kid in the movie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save the Last Dance isn't my favorite "cable movie"; as Kelly said, we have it on DVD. That's because it's a good movie. And I didn't say Center Stage was stupid, although it probably is. I think I said something like, "I can't watch this anymore."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to bring up the "Save the Last Dance" thing because that show is stupid. The plot is cookie cutter in that movie. Oh wah, poor girl has the ability to make it far in the dance world but is scarred by her mothers death and only a man she's inlove with can bring it out of her!

    At least in Center Stage the people that are the main characters aren't always the perfect. And the perfect ones ren't perfect. The have eating disorders and psycho stage mom's.

    Yeah. I'd prefer center over save.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly Belly-

    I hate to break it to you because you have the world's best memory regarding our days in King Henry. However, we saw this movie TOGETHER with Wendy in the theatre before my mission--you didn't so much discover it on the Tay-Vay (as my mother calls it). I have to agree with Lisa Marie on this one-the eating disorders and heartbreak over her teacher is WHAY better than anything with Julia Stiles. Also, don't feel bad about having your favorite show. I too can recite EVERY line from When Harry Met Sally and The Silence of the Lambs (both of which I own). A few others I cannot walk away from when they are on would be: Spy Games, Pretty Woman and Beverly Hills Cop. It happens to tbe best of us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica- I remember that we saw it right before I got married. I never said my original viewing was on TV :) I totally own up to paying full price in the theater on the day it came out! I was just saying now I can never pass it by on cable . . .

    Pretty Woman came in #6 on my list! Also Steel Magnolias and My Best Friends Wedding came in at #7 & #8 respectively!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, my least favorite song is (slightly changed) “you’re much younger than I”. But I’ll give you my top six – not movies but they who mesmerized me with their performances:
    1. John Wayne. I’ll watch anything he is in, but the quiet man brings on true emotion.
    2. Meg Ryan (When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, and You've Got Mail). The latter, however, touched me most.
    3. Doris Day. I liked her even before I met her.
    4. James Stewart. As a western star he is great but tops in Philadelphia Story
    5. George C Scott. If it were not for “Patton” he would not be on the list
    6. Julie Andrews. Mary Poppins followed by Sound of Music
    At Christmas “Anne of Green Gables” plus the two sequels move to the top of my list because I get to watch them with daughter Marie. For laughs I found none better than down and out in LA. Of course I would give up all my wisdom and experience just to be of Kelly’s age again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa introduced me to Center Stage. I watch it because I have a crush on the dark headed pre-med student who dates the anorexic.

    My can't-resist-when-they're-on-tv movies are as follows:

    Pelican Brief
    Save the Last Dance
    Where the Heart Is
    Any of the ABC Family Made for TV romantic comedies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love these cheesy dance movies. They are the best. My husband also has no tolerance for them. So keep on watching.

    ReplyDelete