Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm Published!!!

Note: If you worship the Twilight books and think Stephanie Meyer is a fine writer and deserved cultural icon, you may want to skip this post!

I am thrilled to announce that Entertainment Weekly published (part of) a letter I wrote in their Feedback section this week! I have been reading this magazine cover to cover for YEARS and I'm pumped to have my name in it (not to mention in an issue with CHRISTIAN BALE on the cover. He was my crush of 1998. His picture adorned my dorm wall ALL freshman year, and I actually even dated someone for six weeks just because he kind of looked like him. But that is really something to be explored in a future post).

The comme
nt has to do with the Twilight issue they put out two weeks ago. And no, it's not about how upset I am that Edward looks like a scary transvestite instead of the chivalric hunk he's supposed to be (apparently fans were in an uproar over this). It was about how upset I am that these books are so popular.

I admit, I only just read Twilight last month (and it is the ONLY book of hers that I have read, for the record). I mainly did so because when I would mention reading as one of my hobbies, people around here would immediately bring up this book. And, without fail, I was met with a look as if I had neglected the holiest writ of scripture when I would admit I hadn't gotten to it yet. Growing tired of these looks of horror, I bumped it up on my "to read" list (additionally, I couldn't resist when my brother started making hilarious jokes about how every girl in his creative writing class at BYU was writing their own version). I was SO sad when, after 500 pages, I found that Stephanie Meyer had romanticized what I felt was a totally unhealthy relationship. Bella, the heroine, makes horrible choices about who she spends time with (based purely on physical chemistry with a bloodsucking man) and even worse ones about her strategy for saving her life once involvement with said crowd becomes dangerous. She survives only because Edward swoops in just in time to save her from herself, and then BEGS him to take her life away. To me, Bella kind of made Lucy Ricardo look like a strident feminist.

On top of that, the writing just wasn't that good. This may sound snotty and judg
mental, but after four years in college spent dissecting essays by everyone from Aristotle to Coleridge about what qualifies writing as good, I feel I'm offering an educated opinion here (and yes, the irony that Stephanie Meyer went to the exact same school and was probably forced to read these exact same essays isn't lost on me). Eight sentences every other paragraph contemplating Edward's sexy eyes just doesn't strike me as the stuff of fine literature. And while the story is titillating (yes, there is a big difference between "exciting" stories and "titillating" ones, and I fear Meyer's aim was for the latter), there are glaring flaws in logic. The most obvious being that immortal beings would flock to the local high school to bide their time. In 100 years Edward can't figure out that's the WORST place on earth? I kid. But seriously, I can't understand the fuss. I mean, if somebody is going to knock out the Rose family's beloved Orson Scott Card as the best-selling, best known Mormon author, let it be for an amazing piece of work, you know?

So yeah, to say I had a strong reaction to the book is kind of an understatement. When the magazine showed up in my mailbox a couple weeks later, I couldn't hold my tongue (well, more like my hands away from the keyboard). Here is my letter in its entirety:

I couldn't help but shudder when I saw Twilight receiving more hype from EW. This book truly horrified me (and vampires had nothing to do with it). A heroine ready to toss away her life for the physical "electricity" she feels from a man who admits UP FRONT he is dangerous for her? This same heroine needing to be saved from her physical and mental weaknesses by this same man every few pages? Yes, this is the romantic ideal for young women of the 21st century to aspire to (insert eye roll here). This twenty-eight-year-old Mormon housewife [the article kept touting Meyer as a 29-year-old Mormon housewife when she began the series] is crossing her fingers that her daughters will skip Ms. Meyer's books and turn to Jane Austen (books and movies!) when the need for a good romance arises. Austen managed to create intelligent heroines seeking partners who empowered them--not to mention decent prose!--without the benefit of living AFTER the feminist movement. Meanwhile, your lawyers should gear up for the slander lawsuit that will undoubtedly follow when J.K. Rowling reads that you dared to print her name in the same issue as Stephanie Meyer . . .

I know, I know, pretty scathing. But I wanted to get it printed so I had to get their attention, you know? And it shows my true feelings in an e
xaggerated (albeit sort of mean) way. Well, here's what they printed:

I hope my daughters will skip these books and turn to Jane Austen when the need for a good romance arises. Austen created intelligent heroines seeking partners who empowered them.

Yeah, not the same
umph as the original, eh? And it's even lamer in the magazine, sandwiched between all the letters about what a hunk Edward is and how people shouldn't go around photographing him like a scary transvestite. Still, I'm published! And I went down on record as promoting intelligence and empowerment in romantic relationships. That's what's important, right? There can be worse things than coming off like a priggish Jane-Austenophile-English-Major-type who likes to discuss Colin Firth and his wet shirt in the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice for a good time, right? Anyway, go out and buy a copy of the August 1, 2008 Entertainment Weekly today. Mainly because Christian looks so great on the cover . . .



14 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    Congrats – It’s an amazing feeling to see your name in print. As one who adores the Twilight series I can totally see your point. Bella really doesn’t make good decisions, not only with Edward but also with her mother, her father, and her friends. As someone who also adores Jane Austen, I agree that Meyer doesn’t even come close to her romanticism. Twilight skims the surface while Austen novels leave a lasting impression. It’s kind of like going to the movies. Sometimes I want to see a meaningful thought-provoking cinematic triumph, while other times I’m satisfied with cliché and predictable as long as I am somewhat entertained. Then of course there are always the guilty pleasures that I know I shouldn’t like, am embarrassed for liking, but can’t deny the appeal. (Get Smart fell into this category – I liked it more than I know I should have.) The questions for me are when does entertainment become objectionable and unhealthy? How much can I forgive or ignore without turning away from and abandoning my own beliefs? I struggled with this when I read The Kite Runner. There were parts in the book that were extremely difficult to read and I honestly didn’t know if I should read. When I finished I wasn’t sure how to feel about the story. Did I like it? Even years later I am still conflicted. But I know I was moved and I know it was a great piece of literature. Anyway, this comment is much too long, but you’ve given me a lot to think about. The Twilight series will probably remain among my guilty pleasures but I think I’ll have to add an asterisk to any recommendation I make. We may have conflicting opinions about Stephenie Meyer but we are in complete agreement when it comes to Christian Bale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabling for the moment the curiosity I feel about what Kelly thinks about the whole Christian "Mother/Sister Beater" Bale controversy, I have to say I really agree with Kelly's take on TWILIGHT as both a literary pretender and a step backward in womankind's self-empowerment movement.

    Bella's one distressed damsel, all right. Sure, I'm all for guilty pleasures, hey romance novels have been rotting my brain since seventh grade, and to each her own, but something in me rebels against this kind of helpless, hapless heroine (not to the mention the weird guy wearing more make up than Tammy Faye who is holding her...)

    Will someone please give me a soapbox so I can get down off my high horse now?

    XO,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, there is a fabulous essay (that Orson Scott Card wrote!) about evil depicted and evil glorified in art. I must find it and link it. There is a difference between the shocking scenes in the Kite Runner (which haunt me to this day as well and obviously were correctly depicted because we're both still horrified by it . . . we both walked away upset by the cruelty and we both KNOW it was wrong) and portraying something unhealthy (like what I feel Bella and Edward's relationship is) like it is the COOLEST thing ever. I just worry about young girls reading this and thinking . . . well, that they need to keep things from their parents. Or that if a guy loves them enough he can overcome any of his natural flaws to become the man of her dreams (and if he doesn't change it means he doesn't love her and she needs to divorce him). Or that she isn't smart enough to get herself out of a jam. To me, those are evil ideas being glorified and MOST people aren't walking away from that book thinking that something is wrong.

    But YES, thank heaven we agree on Christian!

    And Mimi, I am standing behind Christian on this. He didn't hit anyone! Those money grubbing harpies are at fault here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Christian Bale. Was it Newsies that created all these fans? I have to say that in the latest Batman, I had to stifle my laughter when he spoke in his deep, gravelly, superhero voice....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, the blog was mainly about Twilight. I agree with many things you both say, not the least of which is the terrible picture on the cover of EW. Wow. Ugly Ugly Edward. And so suggestive... But congrats on getting published! I got published once in Parenting Magazine. About second-hand smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Card essay is one of my all-time faves. I love it. It's right here:

    http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-talk.html

    I also think it's funny when Christian Bale does his Batman voice. He's got that quasi-lisp thing anyway, so when you hear that coming through a bat mask trying to be tough, it just doesn't work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link. What an amazing read. Very insightful and interesting. I connected to his comparison of Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase. I want this article to be mandatory reading for any relief society book clubs. Also, I think being a parent forces you to look at things from the perspective of your daughters. I'll keep thinking about Stephenie Meyer, at least until August 2 when Breaking Dawn comes out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool~ I had heard all about these books, but when they were described to me I had no interest. Glad to see I did not waste my time. Congrast~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go Kelly! I read Twilight last year and everyone is surprised that I stopped reading the series after the first one. It is titillating and a page turner, but I agree that it's a completely unhealthy relationship that girls (and when I say girls, that includes women my age) are ga ga over.

    Thanks Carter for linking that OSC article. Mom sent it to me a long time ago and I haven't been able to retrieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED your letter! So glad they published even just a little bit. I do not get the hype of these books and from what I know about them, I have absolutely NO desire or intention of ever reading them -just not my style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i hate those books. Good for you Kell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly, I have had ZERO desire to read these books (a vampire romance is not up my alley) and you have confirmed that this was not a dumb choice. I get totally turned off by books that get SO much hype. Though I will say (and you'll prob. disagree with me, which is totally fine) that I didn't get into Harry Potter either. I read the first four books and couldn't do it anymore. Maybe it will be more exciting to me when Eli is older and wants to read them, but I wasn't as hooked as the rest of the world for some reason.

    Most of all, WAY TO GO on getting published in a national publication!! That is very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did I ever tell you that I have had MULTIPLE girls recommend I read this so that I can "know how to be the kind of guy girls want". Ironically, right when they say that I actually DO become just like Edmund in the sense that I can see potential in myself to do them harm via picking them up and dropping them on their heads. But the dreamboat that I am I display Edmund-like fortitude and resist physically hurting them. Plus, you know well how my skin reflects light (or "glistens" if you will) when I am in the sun. If only I had eyes hot enough to merit reoccurring paragraph-long descriptions I think I could become the ideal man. I am going to look into color contacts.

    ReplyDelete