Thursday, July 24, 2008

From Chloe's Brain

On Monday I had to take Piper and Sadie to the doctor because they had really bad sore throats. I had Carter pick up milkshakes on the way home from work to help them feel better. He got one for Chloe, too, of course. This girl loves a good chocolate milkshake, so after she finished hers, she moved on to Piper's abandoned one on the kitchen table. Carter yelped when he saw what she was doing and told her that she was going to get Piper's germs if she drank from the same cup. Chloe began to freak out. She didn't want to get sick! She didn't want to go to the doctor! She didn't want to take yucky medicine! What could she do to get the germs off of her?!?!? After about 20 minutes of her talking like this and not listening to my reassurances that she was probably okay, I got tired of hearing about it. I suggested that she take a gummy bear vitamin to help her body fight the germs. Chloe normally refuses vitamins because she hates a) fruit flavored items and b) gummy textured items. I am FOREVER trying to get Chloe to just try a vitamin and I thought she was desperate enough to maybe go for it. Boy, was I wrong. She spent the next 20 minutes lamenting over vitamins being the only way to fight the germs. At one point she exclaimed, to the heavens in great despair, "WHY WAS I BORN TO HATE GUMMIES?!?" An hour after the clandestine milkshake sip, after non-stop commentary on every thought and feeling she was experiencing, she came to me with a drawing. It was a brain with a thought bubble that said, "Oh No." I couldn't help but laugh, especially after she explained this was what her brain was thinking at that very moment.

Chloe has a sore throat today. It could be from the milkshake germs. It could also be from the power of negative thinking.

7 comments:

  1. I take issue with two things: first, I don't think I "yelped". That makes me sound like a basset hound. And number two, it says Chloe "normally" refuses vitamins. Uh....that would imply that she DOES take them on rare occasions. She doesn't. She never has. Ever. She's never, ever, taken one of those gummy vitamins, or even TRIED one. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, of all the things I've written about you on this blog, I think it's pretty funny you're taking issue with "yelped."

    I'll clarify: Carter cried out in horror. Does that work? Carter screamed for her to stop. Better? I'm open for suggestions. My memory has you using your voice in some type of loud interjection for her to stop. Yelped was the best my brain could do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey at least Carter reads the blog... :) I give Ben a hard time for not staying up to date with ours!

    I'm sorry your girls have sore throats. Especially poor Chloe, who was so close to not having one until that fateful sip of Piper's milkshake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't love gummy stuff either btw - I'm with Chloe on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, it's totally cool to not "love" gummy stuff, but I mean, Chloe acts like we're asking her to eat arsenic or feces or a razor blade or something. The histrionics begin at the mere mention of a gummy bear, and only worsen as one actually comes into view. Get this: if Piper is eating some fruit snacks or something, and WALKS BY Chloe, Chloe starts gagging from the smell. I kid you not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about, "Carter's low wail of forboding alerted me to the dire situation..."

    Or, I like, "Carter sharply shrieked his displeasure."

    Maybe, "His uncustomary screech caused my head to whip around in time to view the unfortunate scene."

    I think Faulkner would have approved of, "Carter's squeal of disapproval echoed through the room, creating an eerie silence in its wake."

    Nope, I like "yelped."

    Love you guys!!

    XO,
    Mimi-ling

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. The supertasters. I bet Hannah and Chloe together could give any team of child development specialists-nutritionist-pediatricians-psychologists a run for their money. This sounds very much like any given day trying to guilt/cajole/encourage/praise/bribeour darling picky eater to trying something... sigh. This type of mothering challenge is exhausting, to say the least. My last hope is that other more tastebud adventurous 1st graders will pressure her during lunch while her mom isn't peeking over her shoulder. I could go on and on. As I'm sure you know and understand.

    ReplyDelete