Thursday, December 3, 2009

What Not To Wear

Piper is a calm, even-tempered little girl. That is, until it's time to decide what to wear. A demanding, tantrum-throwing little girl emerges if I don't select the right thing. From the time she turned two, she had definite ideas about what she wanted to wear. For almost eighteen months, she wouldn't wear anything but "pretty dresses." She especially liked princess-y ones.


Getting Piper to wear pants during that time was almost impossible. I thought maybe she would grow out of it, but unfortunately she's become even more rigid about what she wants to wear. Now she puts together an outfit one day and that's the only thing she'll willingly put on for MONTHS. This fancy number was her outfit of choice this summer:


I don't think any two pieces in her wardrobe could have clashed more. Luckily my mom found a less ridiculous shirt to wear with the skirt when we had to go out in public. She wore this summery outfit well into October.


I had to hide it away in a box to get her to forget about it. Unfortunately, she still won't give up the outfit that replaced that skirt:


Yup, those are Jack-O-Lanterns. I put her in front of the Christmas tree to maximize the incongruity of the shirt with the season. She wears this every day. She even tries to get away with sleeping in it. I have to rip it off her to wash it every few days. She's worn those jeans so much in the last two months that there's a hole in the knee now! And if we have to go somewhere and I make her change, you'd better believe there are tears. And yelling and screaming. Mainly by me.

I can't wait to see what outfit she falls desperately in love with next. And because you might feel the same way, I've added a gadget right above the Chloe-isms. So you can see her sartorial choices with your own eyes. Because you probably wouldn't believe me otherwise.

3 comments:

  1. At least she's finally wearing pants, right? And hey, it's long sleeves... ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She doesn't have any horribly tacky Christmas sweaters to choose from? If you get red, you won't feel silly 'til after Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how Stacy and Clinton would handle that one....
    Hmmm.
    That should be their next season. How to get opinionated little ones into clothes that don't embarras their parents.

    ReplyDelete