Monday, November 30, 2009

The 2009 Book List

One of my favorite episodes of The Office (the American version) is the one called "The Dundies." In it, Michael Scott presents rather random awards (such as "whitest sneakers" and "fine work") to his employees. I decided to present my top five books of the year in a similar format. Here we go:

The "If You Read Just One Book From This List, Make It This One" Award goes to:


Gilead by Marilynne Robinson- I loved this book so much. I've heard people complain that it's thin on plot and boring. But for me, it's one of the most beautiful, moving books I've ever read. I ended up highlighting half of it. It's a letter from an ill preacher to his late-in-life son and it's magnificent. My favorite quote came during an amusing tale about a horse falling into a massive hole in the road : "One lapse of judgment can quickly create a situation in which only foolish choices are possible." Gems like that pop up every other sentence. If you don't believe me, believe the Pulitzer Prize it won. I know it is going to be a book that I revisit frequently.

The "Best Crazy, Non-Linear Plot Line" Award goes to:


The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger- Yes, I did read more than one crazy, non-linear plot line book (The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver had a Sliding Doors-esque plot with two of each chapter showing alternate consequences of one choice). But this one edged out the other for this prestigious award. Mainly because it's just one of my favorite books ever. Period. I treated myself to a re-reading right before the movie came out and I loved it just as much as the first time. And while the movie was decent, it just couldn't capture Henry and Claire's remarkable love story. Sigh.

The "I Should Listen To My Dad" Award goes to:


Peace Like A River
by Leif Enger- My dad has been trying to get me to read this one since 2004. It is one of his favorites. He even bought me a copy a couple of years ago. I don't know why it took me so long to get to it, but boy, I'm glad I did. I almost gave it The "Reminds Me Of To Kill A Mockingbird" Award because it has a similar feel. Precocious young brother and sister. Check. Amazingly wise father. Check. Sympathetic character in trouble with the law. Check. The prose is simply gorgeous, too. I wish I could put a sentence together the way Mr. Enger does. You won't be disappointed if you decide to listen to my dad.

The "Best Love Story" Award goes to:


The Shipping News
by Annie Proulx-While the world goes bonkers for a certain werewolf/vampire/teenage girl love triangle (yes, I read that one this year as well), I took comfort in this gritty tale of Quoyle the newspaperman and his redemption in Newfoundland. It certainly isn't framed as a love story, but it contains one of the truest romances I have ever read. It's real, it's inspiring, and everybody manages to stay a human.

The "Clever!" Award goes to:


Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout- This book is comprised of thirteen short stories with one thing in common: Olive Kitteridge. She is part of each one, starring in some and showing up peripherally in others. She's a fascinating character and I loved the time I spent with her. This is the book I'm doing when it's my turn to host book club in March. And I gave it as a gift to some of my favorite readers. So yeah, I really liked it.

There you have it. My top five books of the year. Have you read anything good lately?

5 comments:

  1. I love your list! Thanks for the book list. I loved The Shipping News and The Time Traveler's Wife. I have been wanting to read Gilead, but to no avail.

    I'm currently reading about 15 parenting books checked out from the library. My current favorite is: Between Parent and Child by Haim Ginott. I'm also in the middle of Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber. I started Have a New Kid by Friday, but I think it's better for kids older than age 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I must have missed something with The Shipping News. I started to read it, and just could not get into it. I did not even realize there was a romance, and I made it a third of the way through before I quit reading. But if you and Sarah both liked it, I must have missed something. I'll have to read some of your suggestions though.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzette, there's no doubt that The Shipping News is a tough read. The romantic aspect is VERY subtle (and certainly not the central theme). I read it for the first time in high school and I didn't get it. Rereading it this year helped me really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted these, Kelly! I can't wait to get reading. I really liked TTW and Olive Kitteridge as well, but by the end of Olive I felt sad because it seemed like everyone was either having a physical or mental affair. It didn't give me optimistic feelings for long-term marital happiness. Still really liked it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good suggestions. I also liked The Time Travelers Wife (thanks for giving it to me). I'll have to put Gilead in my Amazon cart!

    ReplyDelete