Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Virtual Christmas Cards

We gave up on sending out real Christmas cards in 2005. In addition to lacking the time and energy to address all those envelopes, we also hated to think of forcing our friends and family to decide how long they should keep a picture of our family before tossing it into the trash. We did pretty well sending electronic Christmas cards over the internet, but this year we're not even doing that. We ran out of time. But here are the two versions I considered sending out:


Merry Christmas!
Hello, friends and family! We hope you are having a wonderful holiday season. We have been very blessed this year and are excited to catch you up on our lives. Nope, you didn't count wrong! We had another beautiful baby girl this year. We love our darling Tessa ever so much and have had so much fun watching her and her sisters grow.


Chloe started first grade this year. She finally got a visit from the Tooth Fairy this year (two, in fact!) and couldn't be more thrilled. Her favorite thing in the world is doing artwork. She managed to win an honorable mention in her school's Reflections contest. She is developing her reading skills and her favorite book is Melrose and Croc.


Piper is now four. She loves ballet and coming up with fashionable ensembles to wear. She is incredibly kind and sweet to her family. She loves to hold her baby sister. She is proud of the fact that she can write her name.


Sadie at two is full of energy. She has a lot of enthusiasm. She loves to read books (especially ones about her personal hero, Dora the Explorer) and coloring with crayons. She gives the best butterfly and Eskimo kisses I have ever received.


Our sweet little Tessa was born May 13 and weighed 8lbs 2ozs (19 inches long). She is a dream baby who eats well, sleeps well, and smiles constantly. She recently took her first plane ride to visit her grandparents in Kauai. We are so glad she is part of our family.

Carter is still working at Imagine Learning and is loving every second of it. He continues to enjoy singing with The Utah Chamber Artists and is currently cheering on the Jazz every chance he gets! Kelly loves being home with her girls and reads just about everything she can get her hands on. Her trip to Kauai to celebrate her 30th birthday was definitely a highlight!

Again, we hope you have the merriest of Christmases and that 2010 brings you great joy and prosperity!

love,
Carter, Kelly, Chloe, Piper, Sadie, and Little Tessa


(Gagging Sounds) A little too sweet, isn't it? Part of me always wants to rebel against form and send out a more realistic picture of our family. Here's the card I would have loved to have sent to balance out the treacly brag-a-thon above:


Chloe is in first grade, but begs her mother to send Piper in her stead almost every day. When that doesn't work, she argues over her clothes and hair in an effort to miss the bus. She hates doing her reading homework and keeps checking this weird book (that has definite homosexual undertones) out of the library at school every week. I think just to bug me.



Piper will do just about anything that Chloe tells her to do. Including dumping sand all over her head. If you don't let her wear the crazy outfits she picks out, she cries like you chopped off her arm. She can write her name, but the "e" is almost always upside down.


Sadie is the poster child for 2-year-olds everywhere. She ignores just about everything I say and throws fabulously dramatic tantrums. Her favorite pastimes include getting into any type of lotion she can find (see picture) and coloring. Not on paper. She likes to find stray crayons or markers (the more permanent, the better!) and tag walls, furniture, and the grout in our tiled kitchen floor that is impossible to clean. Also, she got to have a surgery (that didn't work) to clear a blocked tear duct in October.


Here is Tessa right after the horrific forceps delivery that broke her mother's tailbone (and it still smarts seven months after the fact, thank you very much). You can tell by her misshapen head that she got really, really stuck. Her new favorite tricks are using her two new teeth to bite and gagging on every new type of baby food introduced to her.

Carter does love his job (there are no little girls begging for gummies there). His wife made him sit out of the UCA Christmas Concert this year and the Jazz lost again last night. Kelly really does love being home with the girls most of the time. But wow, four kids under seven can really take a lot out of a person. In addition to desperately trying to work off the 50 lbs she gained during Tessa's pregnancy, she cleans up a lot of messes (see pictures above). Also, she is old now. It's a good thing she took that trip because she was about to lose it.

We hope you realize that every Christmas card with shiny, happy families has stories like these behind the braggy ones they tell. We're trying hard and we hope you are, too. Happy Holidays!

love,
Us

13 comments:

  1. Cute pictures. That one of Chloe with the crimped hair kills me. As does the adorable jean jacketed Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you are hilarious!! I love your posts. And laugh out loud nearly every time. The post below this one was especially funny.

    I do have to laugh too when I read people's Christmas letters about their perfect children and perfect lives. Our family is certainly not perfect or happy/content/not throwing major fits all the time. My latest frustration is any time I try to leave the house with my kids, Eli throws a huge fit, drags his feet, screams, kicks, and acts like going out is ruining his life. EVEN though 99% of the time, we're leaving the house to do something I know he'll enjoy.

    Ahhhhhhhh the joy! :) You have such a cute family Kelly. I liked both versions of your card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely LOVE the card. You are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it! Getting Christmas cards is a two-edged sword... you love to be updated on people you haven't (or have) seen in a while, but sometimes it leaves you a little underwhelmed about your own year and life...
    This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your card this year! It's all honesty! Congrats on a wonderful year!! Glad we were able to spend some of it with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it so bad that I like the first one best? I feel like life with one baby is chaos, so having four seems completely impossible. Reading that first one made me feel like it's possible to be happy with such insanity :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not bad to like the first one best. I would just feel like a fraud if I tried to pass that one off as an accurate picture of my life. It's only half true. But it would be the same if I just used the second card. Taking them together gives a more accurate glimpse into what my life as a mother of multiple young children is like. I would feel like a fraud if I whitewashed my experience and just let people think that my children are always happy and beautiful and performing well at everything they try. Conversely, I'd feel like an ungrateful jerk if I just told the stories about the messes and arguments. I think it takes both the successes and the struggles to make a complete, happy life. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm just as happy that I was able to survive all the difficulties that happened this year as I am about all the great things that happened. And I think the whole Christmas card thing maybe forces people to just acknowledge one half of their experience and try to hide the other half. The dread of trying to "catch people up" and present our family on those kind of terms is probably what makes me procrastinate so badly that the cards don't actually make it to people's mailboxes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No KIDDING! We've done newsletters every year- but this is the first year there are too many personalities for me to write about. I've started three times, and just given up! I'm going to try once more tomorrow- but yeah- that elusive "accurate picture" is really messing with me. Especially when I consider that everyone already KNOWS everything I would put in there. Internet has really changed the Christmas newsletter. And gull durn it, it's too late for the simple stick-yer-pic-on-a-5x7 with-a-wreath-on-it dealie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way- this had me cracking up so bad I had to read it aloud for Zach. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! If only everyone were so honest in their Chrismtas cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was classic Kelly. And genius. Loved it. Merry Christmas. I adore the perfect and less than perfect parts of you and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh...I almost peed my pants over here. You CRACK me up. I love your kids...c'omon...who wants a perfect family anyway?! Yours is close enough, though. Your girls are adorable. And don't worry...at this rate I'll be catching up with you on the 50 pounds gained thing during pregnancy. Except- you have any excuse... it was your 4th child...this is only my first. What the heck does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faye, I gained 50 lbs each and every pregnancy (well, I think it was only 45 with Piper, but still!). And I only lose like 7 in the hospital. How is that possible if I deliver over 8 lbs in baby?!? Plus placenta?!? Oh, well. I guess I ought to just feel lucky I don't weigh over 300 lbs right now. It comes off eventually . . .

    ReplyDelete