Thursday, December 17, 2009

Cock-a-doodle-do

One of the crazy things about Kauai is that there are tons of these guys running around:


Everywhere you go, there are chickens running around. This came to pass when some escaped their pen during a hurricane and then populated the island with feral chickens. You see mama hens running across streets with their chicks and packs of "teenage" chickens running around together. And roosters crow at all hours of the day and night. ALL HOURS. Three in the morning seems to be their favorite time. Tessa thought this sound was hilarious. She smiled every time she heard one. I managed to hone my impression of a rooster crowing during the trip and she would crack up every time I crowed. I still do it to make her smile. I had no idea you could have an inside joke with a 7-month-old, but it turns out you can!

On the second day, I saw a mother hen running around with four little chicks (I know, they are really hard to see):


One of her chicks was even strawberry blond! I watched her run all over the place trying to heard her babies here and there. She reminded me of me! I hope her husband watches the chicks sometimes so she can get to the beach for some alone time :)

I know this isn't a chicken, but these were my favorite birds on the island. I thought they were so pretty! I guess I'm a sucker for redheads:


Our discussion of the birds of Kauai is now complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment