For instance, yesterday I put up the new shower curtain my sister sent for Christmas. I was so excited because I have been internet stalking this puppy for over a year! (Katie, thank you!)
It is glorious. And way more appealing than the $7 plastic one I bought almost four years ago at Target (although it was an Isaac Mizrahi print in orange and pink--pretty fabulous in its prime but now cracking and ripping). As I took the old, sad one down, Chloe FREAKED. She started to cry when I put it in the trash. She said she wanted to keep it in her room. I tried to explain about mildew, but she was having none of it. Of course, Sadie and Piper joined right in with the whining and crying. When I brought out the new towels I got to go with the new look, they howled. It was terrible, but I worked through the commotion. I got the room all cleaned and set up. Then I brought them in and showed it to them. We took turns studying the curtain and each picked our favorite color tier. Chloe admitted that it looked like a dress on the shower. After a fun bubble bath in the "new" bathroom, I won them over. But sheesh, who knew they cared so much about shower curtains?As you can imagine, we had another tearful scene today when I took down the Christmas decorations. Maybe I was jumping the gun a little bit as most people leave the tree up past New Year's Day, but my little elves had been hard at work. There were more ornaments off the tree than on it, and I feared everything would be lost or broken if I didn't clean up quick (chalk it up to one more year where I failed to teach the children that the decorations are not toys). However, my efforts to preserve our Christmas things were met by an angry mob of little girls. They basically set up a picket line while I boxed everything up and told me they didn't want Christmas to be over. I didn't know kids could be so good at heckling. At one point Piper told me that she "couldn't live in a house without a Christmas tree." I told them that the tree would still be in the house, just in a box downstairs, but they weren't buying. This time I distracted them by forcing them downstairs for another round of their invented Littlest Petshop game. I was able to finish up quickly (thank goodness I only brought out two boxes of decorations this year). All was forgiven and pretty much forgotten. When Chloe tried to bring it up later, I reminded her that now it's time to start planning her birthday.
Tessa's reaction to change yesterday afternoon was the most hilarious. I decided to take full advantage of Carter being off work. I had a hair appointment in the morning (where I got the heavy bangs I had been planning for a while) and then I ran some errands. When I returned to the house, Tessa was napping in her crib. I went about my business until I heard her talking to herself a little while later. I went to get her. I opened the door and called hello (like I usually do). I walked over to pick her up and saw her smiling. But her face crumpled when she saw me above her and she started kicking like crazy. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong. I cooed at her and said hello again, but instead of smiling at me like she usually does, she just looked really confused. And then I remembered my hair. She didn't recognize me! It took her a few minutes (of me talking and holding her and telling her it was mommy) to realize it was me. That's never happened to me before! I really didn't think it was THAT big of a change:
Before
Different, but hardly unrecognizable. But then again, I'm not a seven-month-old. Of course my little peanut gallery weighed in on the new 'do, too. Piper liked it a lot, but Chloe and Sadie said (repeatedly) they didn't care for it (in a less delicate way, of course). But we all know Piper has the best sense of style, right? So I believe her. Today, thankfully, my hair was no longer an issue. Tessa knew I was her mother and the haters gave it a rest.
So the moral of these stories is that my kids are VERY upset by the littlest changes (like new shower curtains and bangs), but are resilient and get over it quickly. Thank goodness!
First of all, nice hair! I've been waffling on the bangs issue for awhile. You think Chloe would like it because she has bangs too, but whatever.
ReplyDeleteAnd to Piper...You can come visit my Christmas tree. I don't know if I can live in a house without a Christmas tree either.
Wow--those bangs look very hot. I think that green shirt you're wearing might be a skintight bodysuit that goes all the way down to your high-heeled snakeskin boots. Tessa's reaction made me laugh (as did the shower and tree scenes): Sinjin did the same thing when I went in to get him from his nap wearing a towel on my head, having just stepped out of the shower. It really must be hard to feel like you're just starting to figure out who Mom is and then WHAM, change.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the bangs Kelly! They make your eyes really stand out. Your girls really crack me up. I love the new shower curtain! Glad you had a good holiday. (This is Suzette by the way - not my husband, I'm just too lazy to log out).
ReplyDeleteI too, got the 3rd degree for taking down the decorations today. Jack kept exclaiming to me that I'm "not his friend anymore" and each time I took something else down his face scrunched up even more.
ReplyDeleteThat shower curtain thing is hilarious.
AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL!
Just like Chole! I love it! You have such a perfect face!
ReplyDeletelove the shower curtain AND your beautiful hair!! you look so glamorous, but not too much that you can't be a mom too. it's perfect.
ReplyDeleteEli's also anti-change. We took the tree down tonight after he was in bed and I'm sure I'll get a dramatic reaction tomorrow morning...
Kelly, dang Gina...you look hot! I need a new dew but am too chicken to do anything (plus, this Mama can't live without a ponytail). I have been sitting here reading your blog and laughing so hard. Your Xmas card you wanted to send was HIL-ARIOUS. You should have sent it. Included in mine would have been the big flood (caused by Ava) in our bathroom (carpeted I might add and oh, it was with HOT water). There are many more but I am running out of room. We need to catch up. Lots of love, S.
ReplyDelete