One of these days, I'm going to see The Young Victoria. I love Emily Blunt. I love the story of Victoria and Albert. And, of course, I love all things to do with England. And while I highly doubt I'll be seeing it in the theater, I do live in an age where movies go to DVD very quickly (it's already saved in my NetFlix queue!). In the meantime, I'm enjoying the press that the movie and the late queen have been getting.Today I read the most entertaining article about her in Newsweek (you can check it out here). It had to do with her thoughts and ideas about motherhood. She wasn't a fan, apparently.
Victoria and Albert had nine children (meaning Victoria spent almost an entire decade being pregnant). Until her last two children, she was denied anesthetics during childbirth because priests believed that "women should suffer for original sin." She felt that having children was the "shadow side" of marriage. And while I don't find being a woman "unenviable," I kinda get where she's coming from.
Take this week, for example. Not exactly a red banner one in my life. We had a total of six severe ear infections (two so bad that little eardrums actually burst). This means that three kids are on antibiotics right now. My time has been spent shuttling kids to the doctor, filling prescriptions and then trying to remember which bottle of medicine goes to which kid (and I would have failed completely were it not for the Target pharmacy's genius banding system--as it is I've only confused a couple of doses). Don't get me started on how difficult it is to get the entire dose down the little throats or how awful the hurt tummies and protesting digestive tracks are. These drugs are STRONG. All this while I was struggling to overcome a wicked bout of mastitis (caused by the eating strike Tessa went on when her ears started hurting)--yeah, not super fun.
I know I'm spending my time well. I've comforted the sick and afflicted, fed the hungry, clothed the naked. Seriously, my to-do list comes straight out of the New Testament. But I also haven't made it through a night without getting up at least once (most often, 2-3 times). I know it's good, honest work and I'm blessed to have a husband who has helped me do all of these jobs. It's quite fulfilling, really, taking care of this family together. I cannot imagine doing anything else. I love my kids more than anything. I love being a mom. But I also have to admit that it's utterly exhausting. When you add up the almost nine straight years of being pregnant or nursing that I've just been through, all the sleepless nights over those years, and then all the desperate needs I've had to fill, well, I feel like it's a miracle I'm not a puddle on the floor right now.
So when I read this article about Victoria, a queen, who struggled with motherhood, who felt like her husband (a King among men!) "did not understand the sacrifice and exhaustion involved," who admitted to feeling like "half oneself" during the "ailing, aching state a young wife is generally doomed to," and who felt "pinned down, [like] one's wings are clipped," I felt better. I know those are pretty negative statements, but they made me giggle when I read them. I generally feel quite positive about my vocation, but there are days where I understand completely what she means. She had wealth, domestic servants to care for the children and her palace, AND a great marriage. But she still sometimes felt like that puddle on the floor. (Of course, she did also have to rule a country and live in a far less enlightened time. And have twice as many kids without the benefit of an epidural. But still.) I think we're kindred spirits. We're both mothers and we both understand the physical, mental, and emotional tax that must be paid for all the joy that motherhood brings. Yep, Victoria and I get each other.
I have no doubt you will emerge Victorious from your trials.
ReplyDeleteYeah- they don't talk about how while, yes, the cup runneth over, somebody has to mop up the excess...
ReplyDeleteFrom one puddle to another, I'm glad us somebodies live in an enlightened age where we can share our view from the floor. Just the anticipation of a fellow puddle-post got me here to chair level.
I'm so sorry you have such a horrible week. The fact that you all came out of it shows great family strength, and miraculous stamina. I'm proud of you. Soon- the grass will be greener and the sun will be higher in the sky, and our kids can play outside for hours with each other being healthy and happy...
ReplyDeleteEar infections, mastitis, doctors, Rxs... oh my! Kelly I'm so sorry. You are a QUEEN and I just have to give a big AMEN to Carter's comment.
ReplyDeleteWow--that is scary. See I feel like you do, except I have 1 child.....
ReplyDeleteThat's a fascinating article, thanks for linking! I think that quote--that her husband "did not understand the sacrifice and exhaustion involved"--is so so true, and I don't mean to knock husbands. It's just that they're around enough to see how things go, and frequently take over for hours on end, so they think they understand. BUT their body didn't make the baby, birth the baby, or serve as the sole/primary source of the baby's nutrition, and I think, unless you've actually done it, it's about impossible to imagine what a drain that is. I should admit that Nate's been bathing and putting Sinjin to bed while I've been eating a cupcake (that he brought me home from work today, didn't have one himself) and reading/commenting on your blog. So I really think I have an awesome husband. Just want to make that clear.
Also, Nate and I went to see YV last weekend and we both LOVED it. It was just lovely, and romantic. I'm sure you're going to love it too :)
I am dying to go see this movie! I've had friends tell me it was wonderful.
ReplyDeleteKelly, I am so, so sorry that you had such a bad week. And sorry it's taken me this long to comment. I am finally catching up after having a marathon week last week of things that were keeping me from blogging. It's one thing for YOU to be sick, but to have sick kiddos too is the worst. I hope all is much, much better now.
And I totally agree on your thoughts on motherhood. I'm so grateful to have this chance to be a mom. But it can be SO draining!! I feel like I'm going going going from 6:30 a.m. until midnight or 1 a.m., then I hopefully get five or six hours of sleep without interruptions, and the day starts over. Ben leaves so early in the mornings (though sometimes he's home Sat. mornings, but then he complains because he's missing his one opportunity to go exercise playing bball at the church), and every morning I drag myself out of bed to go get my screaming 1-year-old, feed and entertain him for two hours, then I put him down for a morning nap and the 2-year-old wakes up...
I am telling myself to go to bed earlier tonight because I've had a twitching eye all weekend. That's the sign that I need MORE SLEEP! I hope you're sleeping more too.