Kelly is gone. She is visiting her parents in Arizona. She left Wednesday morning, and gets back Sunday night. During this 5-day
Some highlights of the past few days:
WEDNESDAY
• Went to Costco with Sadie and Tessa. Bought a new DVD player (our old one broke).
• Took all the girls to Chloe's parent/teacher conference meeting. Chloe is doing well. I tried to get her teacher to admit that she's a menace in class but Ms. Blauer had nothing but praise for her academically and socially.
• I let all the girls sleep in the basement and watch a movie. I put the new DVD player in our bedroom and gave ours to the girls downstairs.
THURSDAY
• I took Sadie and Tessa to Piper's parent/teacher conference. Piper's teacher naturally gushed about her and bemoaned the impending summer when Piper would no longer be in her charge. I smiled proudly and nodded knowingly. As anyone who knows her knows, Piper is a gem. An angel on earth. She lives to please anyone in her general vicinity. Tell me something I don't know, Mrs. Morgan.
• I took Sadie and Tessa to the library. They picked out a DVD. Barbie Nutcracker or something. I also took them to the bank.
• Some neighborhood kids came over and played in the backyard. I played arbitrator to at least 18 fights/disputes/disagreements that arose. Most involved either the tire swing or who wouldn't let whom into whomever's playhouse.
• I let 'em watch a movie again in the basement.
FRIDAY
• 3:20am. Piper (on Chloe's errand) awakens me to inform me that the DVD player isn't working. I go downstairs and sure enough, it isn't working. I have no idea how they broke it. But it's broken. I explain that I have neither the consciousness nor the inclination to attempt to repair it. Chloe goes berserk. So I give her an iPod to watch a movie on. Good grief.
•7:45am. The five of us pile into the van to go to Chloe's dentist appointment. Did I mention there's no school today? There is no school today. We go to the dentist and Chloe gets sealants put in. The other girls (who am I kidding - Sadie and Tessa) take turns throwing temper tantrums in the waiting room. Then we leave.
• And here we are.
Anyway, that's what's going down here. Fun times. I never did get back to sleep this morning. So I'm somewhat tired. The good thing is that I'm used to it. I'm not sure what my body would do if it were to get a full night's sleep. It probably would reject it.
This was a great entry. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteKelly told me of a conversation you guys had before she left. The one where she asked if you'd be okay for 5 days alone w/ the girls and you said "that's between me and child protective services." I laughed. Out loud.
Being a single parent is so hard. But I'm glad you found some time to blog for us!
P.S. I tried to respond to your comment on my blog earlier by hitting reply in my gmail account but I don't think it made it to you. In case you didn't get it, I said I thought of you specifically, Baby-Got-Booth-Carter, when I came up w/ my title. I thought "people like Carter will appreciate this." Thanks.
P.P.S. I request another Carter post on Sunday featuring pictures of each Belle's hair style for church.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
I find this post inspiring for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you actually got online and did some blogging! Hang in there Carter. You are an angel among men and I'm sure Kelly would agree.
ReplyDeleteI'm supposed to do their hair for church?
ReplyDeleteI thought to myself- I bet since Kelly is gone there will either be a post from on location in AZ, or a super awesome guest post by Carter.
ReplyDeleteI was pleased.