Okay, so I'm behind once again on the "What I'm Reading" and "What I Read" features. I think I'll keep the "What I'm Reading" one and then just do a big review of what I read each month. That feels easier to manage. On to the February reviews!
This book is horrifying. And even worse, it's true. The first half of the book reads like great fiction (but, alas, it slows waaaaay down at the end). It recounts the history of the famous (infamous?) HeLa cells, which were taken from Mrs. Henrietta Lacks, a poor African American woman dying of cervical cancer, just a few months before she died in the 50s. They ended up being the first cells that could be grown in a lab (and oh, did they grow!) and have played a huge part in most of the medical discoveries of the last 60 years (cancer treatments, immunizations, etc). These cells have been shot into space and blown up with an atomic bomb. The trouble is that nobody ever asked for permission to take them and grow them. And her family can't afford health insurance or access to the medical treatments Henrietta's cells helped develop. This book raises loads of ethical questions. And I'm dying to discuss them with somebody. Please read this book and call me!
Yes, we're still on our Harry Potter kick. We read a chapter just about every night. I haven't read these books in about ten years, so it's fun to go back and rediscover them. The movies are great, but the detail in the books is oh so delightful. I'm glad Chloe is loving them every bit as much as I am.
This book ended up being rather disappointing to me. People have been raving about it, so I decided to see what the fuss was all about. I enjoy a good dystopian science fiction read as much as the next gal, but this one just felt like the author put The Giver, The Hunger Games, and Twilight in a blender. It was so unoriginal to me. Seriously, is the love triangle the only thing being published in YA fiction these days? I was also pretty annoyed that this book ended SO abruptly (because it's the first in a trilogy)-- it was without any conclusion whatsoever. I'm sorry, I know you're trying to sell books here, but just randomly cutting off the story and saying tune in for the next book is not the way to develop a series. (Check out the book before this one for the RIGHT way to end a book in a series. This book only enhanced my appreciation of Jo Rowling's genius!) I doubt I'll ever find out what happens to Cassia and her boyfriends because I'm so annoyed!
Did you read any good books last month?



Harley's reading Henrietta Lacks! You two SHOULD discuss.
ReplyDeleteI was disappointed with Matched, too. I was interested in it, but whenever I put it down (which happens so often when you have kids), I didn't feel the need to pick it up again for awhile. Then I'd think, "Oh, I should finish that." I'm sick of love triangles, but could be okay with this if it continues like I'm thinking, which is that there isn't really one. She already has chosen, it's just a matter of escaping/fighting/getting together or whatever.
ReplyDeleteI did like the writing a lot, which for me, will keep me reading at least one more.
So our february was horrible too, but not quite so bad as yours. At least one of us has been sick since December, sometimes all four of us, and it's still continuing into March. I'm ready to be done. I hope you're all healthy soon!
And Christian Bale. And Jane Austen. I knew we should have been friends sooner. Carter - it's all your fault.
(Note to self: upon meeting a new co-worker, ask for his or her position on Christian Bale and Jane Austen so as to avoid squandering a potential friendship between said co-worker and my wife.)
ReplyDeleteCome on, Shar - you can still be cyber friends. Plus you'll end up back in Utah. You know you will. You and Kelly can get together then.
I read Henrietta last month! I thought it was fascinating. Shocking. Horrible on a lot of levels, but so neat that the author was persistent with her research for the book and put this all together. Our book group had a great discussion about it all, but we didn't come to any big conclusions about the moral issues. There is a lot to think about.
ReplyDeleteI just borrowed Matched from the girl I visit teach in the ward - her sister-in-law is the author (the author is married to Heather's brother). Anyway, your review made me extra curious about it!
Now I'm about to delve into Let the Great World Spin. I wish we were in the same book group Kelly!!