Friday, March 25, 2011

Some Serious Silver Linings

Today didn't start off so well.  It began in the middle of the night when I was awakened by a child who had wet the bed.  Never a fun wake up call.  I hate to admit it, but cleaning wet bedding after being ripped out of deep sleep really brings out the worst in me.  I got things cleaned up and was back in bed before too long, but I regret the harsh lecture I gave the poor little bed wetter.  Then, as I was waking the girls for school a few hours later, we discovered that The Tooth Fairy had failed to make an appearance last night (Chloe lost her sixth tooth last night right before I had to host book club--and the fanfare is waning with each new loss, as you can see).  We were all disappointed in Ms. Fairy's flakiness, but we have high hopes she'll show up tonight.  Chloe, who isn't exactly known for taking disappointment in stride, wasn't very comforted by that idea.  D-R-A-M-A!

But things have gotten brighter as the day has progressed. (Even with the snowstorm raging outside--Spring, where are you?!?)   Despite the fact that I wanted to go back to bed and bury myself under the covers, I got breakfast going and checked my email.  I discovered an email notifying me that this photograph that Carter took of my feet in Italy won us a prize:


I entered Cardigan Empire's Favorite Moment in Fashion contest and now I get a free sitting with an awesome photographer.  First of all, it's so exciting to win something, but something from a fashion blog that I LOVE?  Awesome.  And the fact that the Christmas Card picture has been taken care of in MARCH, for free, is beyond delightful.  I'm already imaging outfits for the spring photo shoot . . .

After that bit of good news, I got to dress Piper up as Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary for Nursery Rhyme Day at kindergarten.  I couldn't find any silver bells or cockle shells, but I still think she looked pretty cute with the little gardening basket I made for her to carry:


 She has a "pretty maid" on her shirt and her shoes are silver.  Hey, I did the best I could!


And yes, I did think about dressing Sadie and Tessa up as pretty maids and sending them to school with Piper.  That probably would have been frowned upon, but I was definitely tempted.  Piper's smiles and excitement for her special day at school were contagious.  All of us felt better after watching her get ready.  Even Chloe, the poor victim of the Tooth Fairy's neglect.

So yeah, a nursery rhyme and a picture turned my day around.  Who knew it was that easy?  Still, let's just hope The Tooth Fairy shows up tonight . . .

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win! That's a fabulous picture and a fabulous prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so curious... what is the going rate for teeth these days?

    But more importantly, CONGRATS on winning! That's amazing! Great for you for entering. Free prof photo shoot=a dream!! I'm already excited for your Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for a contest win!!!! That photographer looks fabulous. I'm excited for your card too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was already jealous about your trip, now I have to be jealous you won a photo shoot? You're killing me Kelly! But I will say you totally deserve it.

    Can Piper come live at my house? She is such a doll, and I would love dressing her up! I desperately need someone to dress up. McKay just isn't cutting it anymore.

    ReplyDelete