Thursday, September 2, 2010

Two Fantastic Saturdays

Two Saturdays ago, we headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon to enjoy our ward's Day Camp at the Spruces.  I'm not exactly an outdoorsy kind of girl, but I have to say I had a magnificent day in the mountains.  We had great food, great company, and an absolutely gorgeous day (it was 20 degrees cooler up that canyon and it felt delightful!).  Carter took the bigger girls on a little hike to some waterfalls (I stayed at "camp" and played Bananagrams with friends while Tessa rested in a pack n' play!):



The girls loved playing in the mountains with their friends.  Such a great day!  The drive home at sunset was beyond gorgeous.  Chloe kept requesting "In the Waiting Line" by Zero 7.  We listened to it the whole drive home (while the other three slept).  It was so peaceful and gorgeous.  I still can't get over how much fun I had!

This last Saturday we visited the KSL Book Festival at the University of Utah.  Carter's company had a booth there that he needed to help man, so the girls and I got to explore on our own.  There were lots of great attractions, including free giveaways, roaming literary characters, and readings by some famous faces.


Chloe liked Curious George the best, while Sadie preferred Alice (from Alice in Wonderland).  Piper liked the mascot of the festival, which was a mouse named Isaac.  In fact, we had to hunt him down before we left so she could get a picture with him.



Tessa's favorite was Ronald McDonald.  She crawled right through the crowd of kids and stood with her hand on his knee as he read books.  This was quite something, as strangers scare the Dickens out of her these days.

 Can you spot the Belles in this shot?  Tessa hadn't made it to Ronald's knee yet . . .

After the girls got sick of walking around, we said hello to the Imagine Learning Booth:



Yes, that IS my brother.  He works with Carter at Imagine Learning now.  After that, we found a fountain that the girls could wade in.  They loved it.  Chloe even broke into a crazy dance at one point.



I didn't have quite as much fun, as I opted for a skirt on the windiest day of the year.  It was like I lived that iconic Marilyn Monroe scene from The Seven Year Itch for three hours (and let me tell you, it is far less fun and sexy when your skirt blows up for longer than the 30 seconds it does in the movie!).  I think I flashed half of Salt Lake.  Oh, well.  It was still a fun activity (although the date night Carter and I had to Bombay House and Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World was much better--less wind!).

I wonder what we'll do this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! See? We should do the outdoors more often.

    I was considering going to that book festival, and now I totally regret not going! Bummer. I'm glad you've had such a great time though, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what else... it's weird, I remember playing in that fountain when I was Chloe's age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of all the blogs I read- yours makes me miss Utah the most. The canyon is the definition of fall for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!!

    Hmm- maybe next week you'll flash the other half of Salt Lake! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,

    I hadn't read your blog for awhile. What a treat! I loved the school pictures, Tessa's hat, the mountains and Lisa is right about the fountain. That (the OC Tanner Fountain) is one of my favorite places and I used to take my kids there often.

    ReplyDelete