Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Will Be Your Tootsie Wootsie

I had a terrible, terrible cold last week.  As all moms know, there is no such thing as a sick day when you're in my line of work.  In between fixing lunches and loads of laundry, all I could do was crawl into bed.  During one of these rest periods, I stumbled on to Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows, which is a biopic/ Lifetime-esque (although it was airing on Oxygen) movie starring Judy Davis and Hugh Laurie (!) about, you guessed it, Judy Garland's life.  I don't know if it was the Dayquil haze or what, but I loved it!  I realized that I have seen exactly one Judy Garland movie in my life (yes, The Wizard of Oz) and that it was time to rectify that situation.  I selected Meet Me In St. Louis for my NetFlix queue (as Hugh Laurie really charmed me in the role of Vincente Minnelli in the biopic).

It arrived a few days later.  Since I was still under the weather, I scheduled a movie night.  Everybody cuddled into the bed (yay for California kings--our entire family fits!) to watch the show.  I thought the girls would watch the movie for maybe ten minutes.  To my great surprise, they LOVED it.  They watched all two and a half hours and then wanted to start it again (I didn't think I could handle that--it's a nice movie, but nothing really happens).  Little did I know that this was the beginning of an obsession (especially for Sadie).  They love the songs, the dances, and the little girl named Tootie.  I made the serious mistake of returning the disk (hey, Date Night was finally available!  I had to jump on it!).  So we've been YouTubing (can that be a verb?) certain scenes all week.  I got a couple of videos* of how the girls "watch" them.

First up, we have Sadie and Piper trying to recreate The Cake Walk dance to "Under the Bamboo Tree":


Naked Tessa in the background is doing a pretty good job, too.  You can click here to see what they're trying to do.

Next, we have Sadie singing "Meet Me in St. Louis":





So cute!  But who knows if she'll forgive me for putting it on the internet when she's older ;) 

And don't worry, Easter Parade is on its way here.  My mom says that one is even better.  We'll see if the girls take to it.  In the meantime, I obviously need to go out and buy the Meet Me in St. Louis dvd.  If you've never seen it, I know three little girls that will watch it with you (and perform it as well)!

*Sorry for the bad quality.  I took the video on my iPod Nano.

4 comments:

  1. KELLY. DID YOU KNOW THAT MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER?! THAT'S WHY I CAN'T NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

    Yesterday was so fun. Let's do it again soon. We can watch old movies after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FRED ASTAIRE and JUDY GARLAND. Yes, I came across Easter Parade the other night on KBYU it was the ultimate treat to watch. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for them to watch my DVDs with Shirley Temple singing "On the Good Ship Lollipop" and "Animal Crackers in My Soup"!

    ReplyDelete