We did it! We made it through the weekend! Some of us are still in pain (Piper) and some of us are so sleep deprived that a year-long nap wouldn't be enough (me), but we made it through four surgical procedures in one day and, according to our post-op consult yesterday, are healing well.
I still can't decide if two kids having surgery on the same day was completely insane or totally brilliant. I could probably go on for hours about how awful it was to see my babies in pain or how impossible it was to try to divide myself in two to care for both little patients. But that's not too fun to read, write, or think about. So I will spare us all and give you the highlights instead:
Best Exchange with A Doctor or Nurse: This one goes to our anesthesiologist. He walked into our room and discovered Piper listening intently to my iPod. He asked what she was listening to. When we explained that it was Michael Jackson (the girl can listen to "Smooth Criminal" on repeat for hours), the doctor smirked and said, "How appropriate." While it might have been a little too soon, Carter and I couldn't help but appreciate anesthetic/Michael Jackson humor at that moment. And you have to give him props for being so fast on his feet. Or maybe he has just been waiting for that perfect set-up since last June.
Most Dramatic In the Recovery Room: This goes to Piper. Tessa simply woke up and cried a little bit. She seemed to feel a lot better after getting her tubes placed (which makes sense because A LOT of fluid got drained during surgery, so she immediately felt less pressure and could hear better). As always, Tessa was easily consoled (more on that later). Piper, on the other hand, had far more difficult procedures done and was hurting so much when she woke up. In between her heartbreaking little sobs, she would say things like: "I can't stop crying! I want to stop but I can't!" "I want the doctors to put my tonsils back!" "I want to be ALONE!" (That last one was directed at me--I had to back my chair away from her bed because she was so annoyed at me for letting this happen to her.) Luckily, we got some LORTAB in her and she calmed down. When her surgeon came to visit her, she managed a smile and a thumbs up. She's been getting doses of LORTAB around the clock ever since ;)
Best Skill To Come Out of this Nightmare: Tessa learned how to drink from a straw at the hospital! She developed a taste for apple juice that day as well. Once the nurse brought in that cup for her, she was completely appeased. She drank and drank and then fell asleep, which allowed us to focus on helping Piper when she came out of her surgery. Tessa's been practicing at home, too:
Best Ways To Save My Sanity: I would recommend watching 30 Rock or listening to Glen Hansard's "Fallen From the Sky" (on repeat, ala Piper's "Smooth Criminal" strategy) if you ever find yourself caring for two miserable babies at the same time. For me they were the best ways to kill time between dosing medicine, holding a little hands, and fixing sippy cups of apple juice because they took my mind off it all.
Best Fashion Statement: I bet you already guessed that this one goes to Piper. She refused to surrender her hospital gown when they kicked us out of Recovery. A kind nurse said we could just return it later. The girl has refused to take it off ever since.
Note the awesome maroon hospital socks--the perfect accessory! As you can see, some entertaining things really did come out of this. I'm relieved that we're further along the road to recovery now. I'm glad that we've fixed some problems that were causing us a lot grief and pain. I'm thankful for our great parents--their visits, their help with the other two girls (Becky, you saved us!), the care packages, and phone calls helped us survive. I'm thankful I have an amazing husband who helped me through all of this (especially when he reminded me that this is not the worst weekend of my life when I got all dramatic--we figured out that it was probably only ranked about 15th). And I'm so thankful for all the kind wishes, thoughts, and prayers that were sent our way. We're a lucky bunch.
Oh I'm so glad to see everyone recovering okay... even if it isn't in the most fashionable ways (hilarious Piper!). So glad it's all over! Every day has to get better from here right? I've thought about you so much these past few days and have been meaning to write and check in. You did it! You survived! And you kept your sense of humor while at it. ;) Lots of love!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad everyone is doing well! Piper sure does rock a hospital gown.
ReplyDeleteThat picture of Tessa is way too cute. And thanks for keeping us satellite relatives updated! Let me know if I can do anything to help so you can take a nap.
Wow! What a marathon. Your ENT can probably retire now. I wish I could be of more help. I have some time on Saturday and Sunday if I can take a shift. Please call and let me know. I can touch base with Becky as well, but give all of the girls a kiss and a hug from me. Tell Piper that I had my tonsils out when I was 10 and I got a "Bubble Hair Barbie" Red hair no less. She was the only Barbie I ever got (those were the days of getting one doll and then "outfits" for her. But anyway, I still have her if Piper would like to borrow her during her recovery.
ReplyDeleteLeave it to Kelly to make a funny post out of what was probably a total nightmare. What a funny anesthesiologist. Youre girls remain ridiculously adorable.
ReplyDeleteBlugh! That sounds awful. I'm wondering what the list of the other 14 weekends sounds like... yikes.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're all doing better. Tessa is such a cute juice drinker. :)
Those pictures are so cute. I esp. love the Tessa pic with the apple juice - her expression and cheeks are so kissable!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're coming out of the worst of things now - but UGH that just sounds awful Kelly. I hope you get at least one nap tomorrow.