Not that I don't totally love our ENT. He's a perfectly lovely guy. He's been friends with Carter's parents since they were at grad school together. He was at my wedding. In fact, he informed me at the appointment that he's golfing with Grandpa D today. So yeah, I trust him completely. But I was avoiding him because I knew he was going to recommend more tubes for Piper (whose last round worked their way out of her little eardrums--hence the THREE ruptured ones this winter) and probably some for Tessa. I wasn't sure if I was ready for that step. But after these last couple ear infections, it was time to face the truth. I couldn't bear looking into those miserable, pain-stricken faces anymore (nor could I stand dosing out the antibiotics that kill their little tummies). We needed help even if it meant surgery.
Besides confirming that those two need tubes at the appointment yesterday, I got the added bonus of finding out that Piper also needs to have her adenoids and tonsils out as well. I was hoping to put it off a couple of weeks, but Tessa already has fluid building in her ears (which means she's headed toward another round of ear infections). In order to avoid that (and another round of $100+ in co-pays and prescriptions), we're going to go ahead and pull the trigger on Friday. And because we don't want to prolong our misery, Piper is going to have her work done that day as well.
So, as we hobble toward spring (because everything will be better once it's spring, right?), things are going to get a little bit worse before they get better. But I'm hopeful that these surgeries will help two little girls feel a LOT better in the end. Wish us luck!
Also, this post is dedicated to Sami. Aren't you glad you asked for this?
Wee Piper looking glam even though her eardrum had just burst!
Mia heard me making sympathetic sounds as I read your post, and came over to see what was wrong. I explained what you guys are going through and she said "Aw- that's too baaad!!!" I agree. :( Good luck- hope this week is the beginning of the end! A light at the end of the tube... heh heh.
ReplyDeletePoor little Belles! I hope they all are better soon! I'm glad to see Piper hasn't lost any of her fierceness though!
ReplyDeleteSide note: We've been to 2 ENTs, and both times I left wondering what exactly these guys get paid to do, because they seemed worthless to us. So I'm glad to know they really do have a purpose.
Oh, I'm sorry Kelly! That does not sound fun at all...12 ear infections?? I couldn't handle it. I hope they feel better soon! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThat is a living nightmare Kelly! I'm so sorry for you and all those little eardrums. Good luck tomorrow. You guys will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteOn the bright side -- cute new blog layout. And I love the Chloe-isms. So funny!
Youchy!! Poor girls!! I must admit your little girls have had MORE ear infections than any other family I know. You were brave to stick it out as long as you have. I hope both patients do well on friday! Good luck little ladies....May this help you feel MUCH better!!
ReplyDeleteOh my Heck! I think you guys should get some sort of discount when you go in. I hope this fixes everything and the little belles can have some relief.
ReplyDeleteLove your header! Glad it worked!
I've had it up to "ear" with these infections...
ReplyDeleteHaha, Carter is funny. I posted a comment yesterday, but obviously it didn't post here... Poor girlies and poor Mama! I'm glad they will be on the road to recovery though. Hopefully they are good little patients for you. I love all of Piper's poses, she is darling. The new header is so cute too!
ReplyDeleteI hope that all went well with the surgeries!
ReplyDeleteYou guys will definately enjoy our Posse date -- a well-deserved night out after caring for sickies!
Ugh, I hope the surgery went okay. I will secretly tell you that I think I should have had my tonsils out when I was a child, but never did because there was plenty of other medical stuff going on in my family with my brother, so my minor health things were totally overlooked. But now as an adult, I have zero desire to do the surgery. I think it's MUCH better to just do it as a child if it's necessary!!(though the thought of either of my kids having surgery would totally stress me out). You are a brave mom! I hope you see less of your pediatrician and ENT in the spring and summer months.
ReplyDeleteI told Dian that Craig should put a big neon sign outside his office that say's "Tubes and Tonsils" with cute little cartoon characters with smiles on their faces. But, Kelly, maybe you should grab it quick and change the name of your blog to the aforementioned since that topic does assume a lot of space here.
ReplyDelete