I ran into several of these today. Granted, they had nothing to do with the newborn. Mainly the damage was done to my favorite tube of lipstick during one of Tessa's morning feedings:
I literally had to chase Sadie around the house to clean her up. She thought she looked really pretty like this. I convinced her to let me take a picture to "save the pretty" and then managed to clean her up.
About 20 minutes after the lipstick incident, it was time for another feeding. The bigger girls started yelling about a bee in the house from the basement about three minutes into it. Now, I've seen them call every flying insect under the sun a bee. Usually it ends up being a fly. I was stuck nursing (I'm still too sore to run around while I do it), so I opted out of investigating and let Tessa finish her, um, whatever comes between brunch and lunch. (I had forgotten how much newborns have to eat.) Soon Sadie ran upstairs crying. She had a pretty wild claim: "The bee killed me." I dutifully placed a band-aid on the spot she pointed to (I didn't see anything) and went downstairs to do some laundry.
This is what I discovered crawling around on the floor down there:
I don't think the picture is doing this monster justice. This thing was the size of about five bees put together. By this time my mom was here and she ran down to help me. We couldn't find any bug spray or even hairspray, so she just trapped it under a bowl for Carter to deal with when he got home (he took care of it beautifully. He's my hero--he even took the picture before he disposed of this killer bee). I'm feeling SUPER guilty it took me an hour to get down there and that I actually suggested Chloe take a shoe to the bee if it was bothering her so much. I still can't figure out if Sadie actually got stung or not.
After all that we were all pretty worn out:
So yeah, just remember that breast may be best for the baby, but it can be exceedingly harmful to your good cosmetics or your older children.
Whenever I think about giving up on nursing, I always think "Kelly did it! So can I!" But then I quickly realize your super patient and 100x nicer than me and I change my mind.
ReplyDeleteOn a related note, I was telling an older woman yesterday how I wanted to cut down on feedings so I could get Marie weened by 1 year. I said "there's a lot of peer pressure to be weened by a year." She looked at me astonished and said "There's a lot of peer pressure to do drugs, but you don't do that do you?!"
She really had me cornered. But the truth of it is that i had a lot of peer pressure to do drugs and i did them -it was called an epidural- and I LOVED it!
Hee hee! What a cute couple of striped kiddies. I'm surprised you were up for the stripes after the bee incident... ;) Kiley and I both have pink striped PJ's for all our girls too, from Christmas! Maybe that's how they get away with so much- we can't pick out the troublemakers from the herd.
ReplyDeleteLet the record show that I sleep pretty much exactly where that enormous insect was found. Who knows what's crawling around on me at night. Takes me back to the mission.
ReplyDeleteCrying wolf come to mind?! That was a huge sucker of a bee! I'm glad no one was killed -- oh, wait...
ReplyDeleteI always admired your nursing talent. To walk around while doing it?! Wow. Even with Miles, I was pretty much stuck in place whenever I would nurse.
It's not that much easier to get things done with a bottle baby either, not until they learn to help hold the bottle. You actually have LESS hands because one hand is holding a bottle and can't be used for other activities, like reading or changing the channel or chasing down lipstick robbers.
The dilemas that come with a nursing child are overwhelming! You said it all sista! I'm sorry about your lipstick. And glad that no one was killed by the huge bee!
ReplyDelete