Chloe's kindergarten class began making letters in September as a way to become better acquainted with the sounds and shapes of the alphabet. When she brought the first of the series home, she was so proud (in fact, the A shaped like an alligator is still her absolute favorite). I couldn't bear to chuck it right away. She told me she was going to bring home more and that I should hang them up on the wall. So I followed her decorating advice and immediately did so.
We had a lot of fun trying to guess what the next letter would end up being. And any day that she brought one home was special. We made a big deal about hanging each letter and then talking about it. Now that the set is completed, the letters still spark a lot of conversation. Even my pre-preschoolers (Piper and Sadie) join in on discussions around the dinner table about which letter is their favorite. For the record, K is mine (and not just because it's my first initial):
The moment I laid eyes on the dude doing the sweet karate move, I knew we had a winner. Carter likes it the best, too. As cool as that one is, there are definitely a few clunkers in the bunch. My brother feels that the teacher went through some personal problems the weeks she designed this grouping:
A doctor's kit for D? Really? A shoe for F? (I think it's supposed to represent "foot," but it's definitely a picture of a shoe.) And the elephant E had to be hung upside down. These certainly do not represent the high water mark of the set. At least they ended with a bang:
That X-Ray man cracks me up. And yes, that is real yarn on the Y there. The day we hung Z, Chloe asked if her letters could stay up forever. I said that we could keep them up for at least another year and a half. I suspect a new designer with come up with her own set that will need to be displayed when she enters kindergarten. So yeah, my kitchen wall is taken care of for the next few years. Whew.
Which letter is YOUR favorite? (You can click on the top picture for better detail on all the letters.)
I'm gonna go with "O", because it looks like it could double as a hula skirt. The fun won't stop with that one once the letters come down!
ReplyDeleteWe must also note that the "V" (which looks rather plain) actually came with a vest that was simply too big to fit in with the set, so we had to lose it.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to say something about the "F is for shoe one" when I was there on Friday, but didn't.
ReplyDeleteI like the O because it branches out beyond it's boundaries.
I prefer the Indian Corn I.
ReplyDeleteMadelyn likes the L for lizard and S for snake. I think because they're kind of like villains. Madelyn and her villians.
The T and the U are pretty darn cute! But the K is my favorite...so flexible!
ReplyDeleteOh so fun. I love the S and the P. The pig nose with the curly tail is too cute. But I must say that the g for glasses is my favorite because it is not only cute to look at but it is also very useful. Form and function gets my vote. (Plus it has symmetry and reflection two very important mathematical concepts.)
ReplyDeleteI like the B the best - very cute :)
ReplyDelete