Saturday, November 1, 2008

Obligatory Halloween Snaps

What kind of mommy blogger would I be if I didn't put up pictures of my kids in their Halloween costumes? A very poor one, indeed. So here are profiles of my little trick or treaters:


Name: Chloe the Cowgirl
Trick or Treating Style: Picky. She appreciated people that let her pick what she wanted. She hates most kinds of candy, so if she could pick a Kit Kat (her favorite), she was really happy.


Name: Piper the Princess (aka Snow White)
Trick or Treating Style: Marathoner. After about a half hour of trick or treating, Chloe and Sadie were done. It was starting to rain and I figured we'd all head home. Nope. Piper was still anxious to get to the next house. Carter took her for an extra 45 minutes! She got quite the haul.


Name: Sadie the Pumpkin
Trick or Treating Style: Novice/Eat As You Go. I taught her how to say something like "trick or treat" and she managed to say it at every door. She also said something like thank you, too. But between houses her hand was in her bucket. The fact that the candy was still wrapped wasn't a deterrent. My job was to keep her mouth filled with chocolate, not paper (and yes, that made the "trick or treat" even harder to understand). I figured she wouldn't last long and that I'd have to take her home after a couple of houses, but she was determined to keep up with the big girls. She lasted as long as Chloe did.

Can I just say again how hard it is to get a shot of all three of them?




FINALLY we got this:


But yeah, we had a pretty great Halloween. After trick or treating we all snuggled together in bed with the candy and watched The Corpse Bride (which is why I had to Google maggots this morning. Chloe wanted to know about the little worm that kept popping out of Emily's ear!).

One of my favorite parts of the day, however, came earlier when I put Chloe on the bus for school. The kids got to wear their costumes for the party that day. Lately Chloe has been really picky about her hair (she draws diagrams of exactly how she wants it styled). She designed a french braid/bun combo which I executed the best I could. I turned my back for two minutes to change Sadie's diaper and found that Chloe had pulled out most of her hair from the braid because it was "itching" her. I had to work fast to pull it all down, brush it out, and slap pigtails in (complete with orange bows, thank you very much). By this time we were in danger of missing the bus, so I had to rush everybody down the street to make it. Needless to say, I was a bit frazzled by the time we got there. When the bus doors opened, the two little girls in front oohed and awed as Chloe got on in her cowgirl regalia. One of them popped her head out of the bus and shouted to me, "You did a great job dressing her! She looks great!" Aw, shucks. I know it's crazy, but that little affirmation from a five-year-old dressed as a convict absolutely made my day!

P.S. Don't forget that the photo contest is still going strong! Submit your funniest school pics to me for your chance to win a Target gift card! Deadline is Wednesday, November 5th!

7 comments:

  1. That's a great picture of all three girls!! I tried very unsuccessfully to get a pic of all three Klearman kids today (who I used to nanny for) and there wasn't one that was exceptionally great.

    I love your writeup of the kids' trick or treating style. Eli didn't care if the paper was on or off either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was a little more picky about Hallween candy. I need to adopt Chloe's method. Unfortunately for me I only had 8 trick-or-treaters come to my house. The good news is I finished my book. The bad news is I have a whole bowl full of Reeses' mix. I really should have gone with Laughy Taffy. I can be picky about eating that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting to see this post! Whats better than dressing up little girls?... I mean before the part where they undo all your hard work by pulling out intricate hair-dos or "not posing for the camera."
    Oh well! I still love it!

    p.s. Brett is very mad at me that we don't have his 2nd grade picture to submit. I'm working on finding it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Miles and Sadie are in the same place. Except he can't talk yet. So his trick-or-treat sounded more like ahhAHaHAAAA!!!
    And the wrappers. Oh, the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mhwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! I don't have a single photo of me in any Halloween pic ever (apparently, I was as hard to keep still as your girlie girls) so I'm way jealous of all the Halloween snaps contained herein. I appreciate Piper's Marathoner style, but Chloe's got it right to be choosy at strangers' doors - no razorblade in the pommes for her! But the winner is Sadie's style in my book - eat as you go, she's a multi-tasker who wastes no time, like me! And she's sooooo cute in that pumpkin costume... it's tradition that the newest Durham sister gets to wear it for their first Trick or Treating Halloween. (Hmmm, I wonder how many more uses you will get outta that pumpkin costume??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha- that was good. I like the treater statuses. Adorable costumes! I'm so glad I haven't had to look at anything gory for the last few years.

    Argh- isn't that awful with three little excited kids- trying to get them looking in the same direction at the same time... ack. I think we're going to try again, just because I can't believe how all-out g-ma went on our costumes.

    I thought your pre-pubescent validation story was so insightful. ;) Sad, isn't it? We moms need it- doesn't matter from where...

    Speaking of pre-pubescent, I'm excited to see some photos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you classified their trick-or-treating styles. You definitely were an English major . . . your posts are always so cleverly written and interesting. The girls looked darling in their costumes. Glad yall had such a fun time.

    ReplyDelete