Monday, November 10, 2008

Book Review

If you pay attention to the little gadgets that run along the side of my blog, you'll be familiar with my "What I'm Reading" feature. I get questions about the books I'm reading every now and then (mainly people wanting to know if I liked a certain book or not). Besides a MAJOR plug for Nine Stories (my absolute favorite book), I haven't really ever discussed books on this blog. Which is odd because they're obviously a huge part of my life. So I thought it would be fun to give you the top five books I've read so far this year with a little blurb (in case you're searching for something good to read!).

1. WE: Understanding The Psychology of Romantic Love by Robert A. Johnson

My brother, Taylor, studied this book in one of his literature classes at BYU and lent it to me. I ADORE this book, which studies the Jungian psychology behind Western culture's obsession with romance. While this book is non-fiction (the only one that will appear on this list!), it masterfully weaves in the myth of Tristan and Isolde to show how the idea of "soul mates" and perfect romantic love have replaced spirituality in modern times. It's fascinating! It may sound stuffy and strange, but believe me, you will NOT regret checking it out!

2. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

I know lots of people love this one (I definitely got the most comments and questions about this book . . . I've read it TWICE this year already). I can't believe I hadn't read it before now! I was very familiar with Lewis's nonfiction writing (I did my senior paper in college on A Grief Observed), but this was my first taste of his adult fiction. The conceit is brilliant (letters from an experienced devil to his nephew on how to overcome a young Christian man) and there are so many pearls of wisdom that I was tempted to highlight just about every sentence. I loved it so much, it has joined my beloved Nine Stories as a book I would just HAVE to have on a desert island.

3. The Sparrow and Children of God by Mary Doria Russell

I'm counting these as one because they are two parts of the same story. These books are absolutely haunting. I got so wrapped up in this story of Jesuit priests that are sent on a mission to make first contact with an alien races on a distant planet that I would dream about it at night. I'm going to say up front, though, that these books aren't for everyone. They are very adult and deal with very disturbing ideas. Having given that disclaimer, I also have to say that this is some of the best fiction that I have discovered in YEARS. I immediately handed them to Carter, and he will attest that I rarely give him things and say, "You HAVE to read this." (The last time I remember doing it was about five years ago with The Time Traveler's Wife). He's loving them, too. Anyway, they are beautifully written and very engrossing. I love them! Thank you, Becky, for introducing them to me! Oh, and I found out that Brad Pitt bought the rights to these, so someday they might be a movie. A very scary, R-rated movie.

4. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

This is one I found through my book club. It's the story of a priest down in Mexico who is being hunted by a Javier-like official. As he travels, he has to come to terms with all the mistakes he has made in his former life. It's an incredibly powerful study of redemption and the role religion plays in it. I know this is one I will be revisiting every few years for the rest of my life. Oh, and the discussion with my group about this book was incredible! Can I just say how much I adore my book club?



5. The Giver by Lois Lowry

I was torn about what to stick in this last slot. Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut was close, but that one contains some pretty offensive material, so I feel more comfortable recommending this one. They both are science fiction-y (who knew I was such a fan?) and come from a dystopian place. They definitely are a similar flavor. However, The Giver is just an all-round GREAT read. It's young adult literature (a Newberry winner, in fact) and has a much more appealing protagonist than BOC :) Jonas, a 12-year-old boy living in the future, discovers the peaceful society he lives in pays a HUGE price for their uncomplicated lifestyle once he is assigned the role of Receiver. I have read this book 4 or 5 times now and I just read it again (it's our November book club pick). It really is excellent.

So there you have it. My top five books so far this year. With this list, I'm also kicking off two new features on the blog. As you can see, I've added a What I've Just Read gadget and a What We Just Watched From Netflix one. So now you can know, in case you ever wondered, what I thought of a book or just how many stars I gave a movie! Happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. Confession: I (yes, I know... ME!) want to be in a book club!


    Great new features! I always meant to tell you... we were netflixing P.S. I Love You at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly, I love getting book recommendations from you.

    I'm putting the first two on my list right now. I can't believe I haven't read the Screwtape Letters yet.

    Sounds like you have a great book club. I LOVED the Giver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed The Giver too - great book! I love your book list - and think your movie addition is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing, missy! I'm going to the library tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fountain IS way too trippy. Rachel had to keep rewatching it, trying to figure it out. She really wanted to figure it out. I just did drugs instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just ordered WE from Amazon on your say so... I'm telling you, you Mommy Bloggers should be getting a nice kickback from all the business you refer to companies by recommending their products! I'm stocked up on bottled beauty thanks to your Sephora list, too! ;-)

    (I won't even try to compete with your Netflix ratings since we are film lowbrows - Geordie just wants to order cheesy Bigfoot horror movies and my big, intellectual rental this week was GET SMART...In my defense I only rent films I didn't have to read for work and that pretty much leaves Bigfoot films starring film legend Lance Henriksen and GET SMART)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, The Sparrow was pretty sweet. I'm making my way through the sequel right now and it's good too. It's nice having your own in-house book critic. Thanks to Kelly I didn't have to waste my time with Twilight.

    And seriously, The Time Traveler's Wife (a few years ago) was one of the coolest books. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big reader but I must say whenever I'm interested in finding a good book or recommending a book to a friend, I know Kelly's blog is where I turn. Thanks for your wonderful and impeccable taste in good books and films. It's so nice to not have to do the research myself ;)

    ReplyDelete